700 miles later......

Options
F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,834
edited September 2003 in Speakers
......A beautiful pair of black Carver Platinum Amazings are playing in my house. :D

My sincere thanks to Doro for enduring the journey with me. I'll post more about them later after I get some sleep and have a chance to set them up better.
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Post edited by F1nut on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2003
    Options
    since we can't hear your new to you speakers.. we NEED pictures... ;) of course when you have the time...

thanks, Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Good Lord what a long trip! I smelled like a human cigar when I got back home.

I am also exhausted, and since Jesse kept me out 16 hours, I am a slave to the wife all day.....keep the faith people....my walk into hell has just begun....[sniff] [sniff]....shopping will be painful today.

They are very nice, I think they are definetly the neatest looking speaker I have seen thus far. That DQ-10 thing is neat, but also far from pretty. Sound wise the Carver's just ache for more power, you can tell when you listen to them. The SDA's in the preliminary listening test, still have the edge. The SDA's are more crisp, and bass has more impact. We also found that the Carver binding posts to be a little ill designed and mounted on a weak bracket. I am sure Cardas upgrades are on the way, so its soon to be irrelevant. F1 is going to do some rearranging, and a new layout should improve sound somewhat, but power is the name of the game with these hogs.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Well, where's the update?

Probably too busy listening to post...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Actually, I took them apart today. I removed everything from the panels to clean up, then I'm either going to repair a few small nicks and polish them or I'm going to refinish them using the original finish material and color.

I found it interesting that Carver talks about how conventional speakers use multiple driver arrays and complex crossovers when, in fact, the crossovers on the Amazing's are quite complex themselves. Also of note, the subwoofers are very light. I believe one SDA 6.5" mid-driver weighs much more. Most of the wire is of a decent gauge, but the wires connecting the subwoofers is very small. I will upgrade those wires and the binding posts will not accept my MIT banana pins, so it's time for another Cardas upgrade. Has anyone else done any upgrades or know of any that can be done? I will post before and after photos when I'm done fixin'. This is going to be fun.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    There's passive equalization in play in the crossovers...

I did a search on "carver amazing tweak" and got 195 hits. Looked threw some. Most seemed to be treatments to tame reflections, ala your seller cloth on the backside of the ribbons. Nothing as practical as post and wire upgrades.... yet.

BTW... I found your amplifierrs... :D
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3047110614&category=39783
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Congrats JesSE......SDA's and CA's. That is IMPRESSIVE.

If I remember correctly, the Platinum uses a different 12" driver than the original CAL's and are significantly lighter.

As far as the crossover, I read that Jon Dahlquist (who was a friend of Brer Carver's) helped him design the crossover, so that would explain why the damn thing is like Chinese algebra.

Since we talked on the phone, I've played around with amps a bit. I've used the m400a (200wpc) standalone, the m1.5t (350wpc) 2 m400a's bridged for mono (500wpc). The more power you feed them the better they sound.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Just in case you two guys, Tour and Troy, didn't see them:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrplan&1066378245

Nothing like having a couple spare parts.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2003
    Options
    It is a very interesting crossover, all point to point wiring and I'm not sure it's something to mess with as I haven't studied "Chinese algebra", but we'll see.

Those Silver 7's sure look sweet! What do you think they'll go for?

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I'll bet 1200 at least.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    edited September 2003
    Options
    They are at $1150.00 already with 8 days to go.

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Jessie,

I thought I was joking around with the 7t's... That said I've saved two ebay auctions for them, one closed at $1200 and the other at $1575. Also have a pair of 9t's on record that went for just under $1500.

There are other options.
    Twin m-4.0t's will clock in around $1000 in today's ebay market. And the TFM 45's we discussed would total ~$1100. They both have the "sound" of the Silver 7's (if not the "cool" factor) and bridged pack 1000 wpc for your Plat's. Right in their proverbial wheelhouse...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• dorokusai
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I thought the S7's went for much more....I am confusing brand new(then) cost probably. All those would be good choices, no dought. Sorry Jesse, I thought they cost more.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited September 2003
    Options
    A pair of 7t's (might have been the same pair being sold now, maybe not) went for $750.00 on Audioweb this month
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,080
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I believe that is Jesse's! I think.....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.