Side surround bargains

Options
acdds
acdds Posts: 253
edited September 2003 in Speakers
I have the FXi50's which I bought from Crutchfield $349 about a month ago. I was at the local CC and saw the FXi30's for $80 each so I picked them up. I tested them side by side with the 50's and heard only very slight differences in the sound range with DSOTM on SACD and no difference in movies. My question is I am thinking about sending the 50's back and using the 30's with putting that $200 money difference to buying a Denon 2900 player. Is the upgrade in player going to make those very minor sound differences glaringly obvious with a better player? (I use a Sony DVP-755) Also, I am thinking about stepping up to a 3803 (have a 2803 now). Since the Fxi30's are only rated at 100 wpc am I at risk of blowing them if I use a 3803?
Thanks!
Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
DVD = Denon DV-2900
Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
(Carver m1.5t)
Center = CSi40
Side surrounds = Fxi30's
Sony 12" sub
TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
Rti38's
Post edited by acdds on

Comments

• wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited September 2003
    Options
    No. Besides you'll have the sides high pass filter.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I agree, return them. Glad you also found a negligible difference between those two speakers, I have preached that all along :)

The Denon 2900 is an outstanding player, I would certainly go that route if I was you.

No, you will not blow them with the Denon 3803. Surround speakers don't ask for 100% to create the given effect, and even if they did, it would not be a sustained signal. You are safe.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.