Turntable Rumble

dcarlson
dcarlson Posts: 1,740
edited September 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I've been noticing a rumble between tracks and at the end of records. I've relubed the spindle with no luck at curing the rumble. The platter does turn more smoothly, I put my ear to the turntable and don't hear the rumble. I'm wondering if it's my cheap Ortophon cart that's not getting deep enough in the groove. The rumble seems to be more present on older vinyl. When I spin a brand new record the rumble becomes more of a hiss. Make any sense or am I losing my marbles? Is a new cart in order?
SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
Post edited by dcarlson on

Comments

• tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited September 2003
    Set your tracking force to the maximium of the cartridge and don't forget to reset the anti-skating for the new weight. Can you adjust VTA (vertical tracking angle) on the tonearm? Good luck.
  • dcarlson
    edited September 2003
    I have the weight set at 1.5g which is the recommended. I don't have a force gauge to check for sure. The VTA isn't adjustable either.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2003
    On mine I get a similar rumble if the spring of the platter/arm assembly is not right. You may not have an adjustment but if this is the problem you might be able to correct. The key is that when you push on the turntable it should bounce straight up and down, not side to side. Just a stab at the problem...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dcarlson
    edited September 2003
    It doesn't bounce exactly straight up and down. I'll have to play around to see if I can get it better.

BTW, the rumble isn't noticable once the music starts.

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    dc,

I got this weird image of a guy with his ear on a turning plater pistoning as he tries to hear rumble...

Put your ear on the shelf and/or use a water glass. If you can hear rumble in the shelf a pad under the TT may quiet it.

Also check the motor mount. Snug? Does your 160 have rubber mount bushings? If yes, are they supple?

Actually total quiet between tracks is a very tall order. Even down 65 dB, which any good table can do, if you're cranking it (and you know you are), some rumble is likely to be audible when there is no music.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dcarlson
    edited September 2003
    I'll check the motor mount.

I bet it's just me getting critical. :D With the Denon's phono stage I didn't hear these sort things or the full detail of the music. With the MF in the house and it's great phono stage, it's probably picking up the faults in the table that are revealing themselves to me the more I listen. I can live with it I guess.

• dcarlson
    edited September 2003
    As for the cranking thing, when listening to vinyl, I find a sweet spot of power just below 12 o'clock on the volume nob. It's too loud while entertaining but great while taking in a good listen. I was in Ottawa earlier this week and picked up some vinyl. All in Mint to NM.

CSNY - 4 way street
    Stones - Let it Bleed, Get yer Ya-Ya's out
    Clapton - Slowhand
    CCR - Chronicle Vol. 1
    Eagles - Greatest Hits
    Van Morrison - His band and the Street Choir

4 Way Street blows me away. Neil Young's voice sounds so (pardon the bad pun) young.