Opinions Please

Options
Tripper
Tripper Posts: 5
edited September 2003 in Speakers
Well finally became an adult I guess (after 33 years) and bought a house. In the process of re-finishing the floors before I actually move in... I have been picking up bits and pieces of my home theater set-up... What I have so far...
Denon 4802 (got it for a song at Tweeter as a floor model started at 1288 got it down to 950 with 2 year warr..)
RTi 150 for front
Csi 40 front center
sub... still in the wings...
I have a pair of FXi50's I just picked up now here is where the question lies....

I want the setup mostly for movie watching and want to take full advantage of my Denon... So I am not sure which way to go... Should I use the 50's for rear's and pick something else for middle? Or use the 50's in the middlle and pick up something else for the rear? If so could I use either a Csi 30 or another 40 for the rear? Or maybe some bookshelf rti28,38's for the rear or middle.... All ready spent too much as it is so don't want to go crazy but have come this far and don't want to miss out on what I could have... Any suggestions would be most appreciated! :D
Post edited by Tripper on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I'm no expert but I'll try to help you out. I believe that diffuse speakers (fxi50) are meant to be used as the side surrounds, and direct radiating speakers (csi30 and 40)are to be used for the rear channel(s). I have the csi30 and like it a lot. By the way, what are your plans for the sub?
    Graham
  • Tripper
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Still haven't thought of sub maybe 550 or 650... Depending on price... They both match up with the rest at least i think.... :confused:
  • gatemplin
    edited September 2003
    Options
    From what I have read it seems that polk subs are more expensive and not as good as subs from paradigm, hsu, svs and there are many more. I am not trying to turn you off polk subs, but just making a suggestion.
    Graham
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

My personal suggestion is use the FXi50's for side surrounds, and pick up a CSi30 for rear center duty. Its a very popular setup, with nary a complaint from anyone I have spoken with. Using FXi50's rear, along with another pair of speakers, will really make a confusing soundstage, unless your room is very large. You want your effects to flow no just be front/rear.

The CSi30 can be found quite reasonably these days cost wise.

Subwoofer duty is a whole other subject. Do a search, as there are some current and older threads about subwoofer placement, choices and performance. SVS has a large following here. Polk is lacking in the reference level and high performance area of bass reproduction, bottom line. I would at this time, look at another brand. The subwoofer being of a different make will not have an effect on the rest of your system.

Keep us updated, good luck.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tripper
    edited September 2003
    Options
    well as far as svs goes what's there better models? I assume with the Denon I wouldn't need a powered one but correct me if I am wrong...
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    You want a powered subwoofer, period. There is too much draw from a good subwoofer to add that tax onto your amplifier. Plus, I don't know of any AVR that has a subwoofer amplifier. Pre-Outs yes, amp no. Well, I digress, if you have an outboard amplifier, then unpowered is fine. I am presuming a atypical install by you in this case.

www.svsubwoofers.com

Dr. Spec is the local forum authority on bass issues, and SVS.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the Forum Tripper.

On the SVS, in addition to Doc, the boys there will steer you right based on your budget, room listening material, etc. And if on a budget, they do have the occassional "B" stock sub, but check often. They don't last.

As for rear(s) (are you 6.1 or 7.1?), directs like the RTi's or CSi's mentioned are great, if you can get them behind you a reasonable distance. If, however, your listening position is on the back wall, di-poles can work better.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Tripper
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome and info... Tour I will be 7.1 I have fxi50's for rear or middles tho they would need to go more rear middle than middle. I am looking to deceide what to place for rear. A center CSi? Or another pair of FXi? or 2 bookshelf rti's. I had a pair or 38's but had to return them cause they had some damage to the cabs..

thanks!
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I take it you have some room behind your listening position then. But really need to give an idea of your room: dimensions, interferences, openings, where you sit, etc.

Drawing, pic(s), or words... your choice.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Tripper
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Dimension of room are roughly 20' x 15 rough diagram not to scale...
    xxxx
    -............tv...............-
    -..............................-
    -..............................w
    - .............................w
    -.............sit.............d
    xxxxxxx
    The x are opening to next rooms, w window and d door (duh) so I am defentialy going to have my main sitting area to the rear, the openings to the other rooms do have frames around so about 8 inches of wall not just wide open... if I need to mount a center rear.... Also all walls are 3/4" pine not a drop of drywall cept for ceilling....

• gatemplin
    edited September 2003
    Options
    It looks to me that you might be be able to mount a pair of rti's in the rear on either side of the opening. From what I understand you would have to mount the csi above the opening near the ceiling which doesn't seem ideal but it would work if you aimed it towards your listening position. You have a very nice setup so far and because of the openings to other rooms you may need a big sub. There are many people on this forum (doc spec for one) that can help you with that. As mentioned earlier you do not need to use a polk sub.
    Graham
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Agree... Your listening position is maybe 5' from the rear wall? plenty of room I think for the RTi's. 38's would be pretty nice.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli