2009 MECA World Finals

Options
MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited October 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well thats another world finals in the record books. Had a great time too. Biggest turnout in a few years which is great considering the crappy economy. Hopefully the car audio competition scene will endure and maybe even grow a little.

Me and my Polks had a pretty good day. Finished 2nd for the 4th time which kinda sucks cause Im wondering if Im ever going to win this thing but the guy that always beats me, Kirk Proffitt, is a friend, teammate not to mention a 6 time world champion, so Im kinda proud to be able to hang in there. He's one of the best tuners in the world with primo Zapco/Scanspeak/Audio Technology/Fi gear but I am getting closer. In 2007 he got me by 1 point. in 08 it was .5 points. This year .2! Next year he's mine! :D

What Im most proud of is that out of over 50 competitors, I had the 5th highest score and that was with all the speakers in the stock mounting locations! Like Ive said before, not too shabby for a set of Circuit City" brand speakers and amps huh. ;) Goes to show just how good the SR's really are.

Another pretty damn awesome thing was my team, Schil Acoustics, got into the MECA Hall Of Fame. We've got something like 15 world championships between us and althought none are mine, I still get my name in there! Nothing like riding on some coat tails! :D

The best car of the show was Steve Cook's Avalanche. Steve is also a teamamte (yeah Im name dropping) as well as a multi world record holder in SPL. He came over to the SQ side last year and in just his 2nd season he not only won his class but too best of show with an insane score of 88 - the highest Ive seen at world finals yet. This guy is a GENIUS installer! Im not kidding either. What he's done with this truck is simply brilliant. My favorite thing is he PORTED HIS MIDBASS DRIVERS! Yeah. Ported! This is possibly the best sounding system Ive ever heard. If I didnt know I was sitting in a truck I wouldve thought I was sitting in a home audio listening room. I didnt want to get out. I kept putting CD's in just to listen. Its the total package too. Not only is it phenomenal sounding but it hits a 155 at 30 Hz in the SPL lanes......and its not even a SPL setup! Im telling ya, the guys a genius.

Im usually burnt out after finals but for some reason Im more fired up than I was back in 2006! Im already figuring out what to bring next season!

Ill get some pictures up as soon as I can get them together.

Here is a link to the results on MECA's website. You can see the SPL scores here as well. MECA's SPL scores are lower than other organizations because they measure at the head rest instead of the footwell. This takes the vehicle out of the equation and so its all about the system. This way you dont have 100 CRX's and mini vans in the lanes. A guy with a Honda Accord has a shot.
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Congrats man, good work--as usual.

-Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited October 2009
    Options
    .2 points?!?! Damn man. Congrats though.
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2009
    Options
    hi mac,

congrats bro, another trophy for the cupboard (damn thing must be overflowing by now :D). You really are nibbling your way to the big one. 0.2 points omg......I'm sure next year its ours. (As polk users and forum members, we have a 5% stake on that trophy. Talk about riding coat tails :D).

IMO whats keeping you in the hunt are your ears+tuning. (ears20%+tuning 30% + install 25% + equipment 25%)...lol

Here's an idea.......next year at finals, sit with your son in your lap..........it will get you tons of brownie points (specially with the female judges) kirk wont stand a chance.....lol.

In any case you've got your biggest trophy this year, for the smaller one you'll have to wait for next year......;)

Waiting for pics.
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Congrats Mac. Glad to hear you're still messing around with Polk stuff and finding success. Good luck next year winning it all!

*edit* Wow, forgot how many posts I had here. It's been a while, I know.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • 300m
    300m Posts: 28
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Mac, sorry I didn't get around to hearing your car. when the dust settled I only got to listen to two cars. I have heard nothing but good comments from the people who did listen though. By the way, I think you are right, next year you'll take home the big trophy.
    Team Schil Acoustics

’05 MECA world champion
    ’06 MECA world champion
    ’06 MECA Culbertson cup (best of show)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I missed it. Tried to make it but I missed it.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Thunderplains
    Thunderplains Posts: 38
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Good Job Mac.. I am looking forward to starting my first run in 2010
  • Thunderplains
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Hey Mac..

I was sleeping when I wrote the last post, but I ACTUALLY was looking at scanspeak the other day.. Been thinking, why do I want to pay for a X-over if I am going active?
    Anyways.. been looking at doing seperates rather than a kit..

Thoughts?
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2009
    Options
    maybe that calls for a seperate thread? A bit OT for this one. :)
  • Thunderplains
    edited October 2009
    Options
    True..

Still congrads Mac.. Good show man..
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Mac, wow, you're still pulling in some good shows! That's awesome! SO CLOSE! You've got it in the bag next year, man.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Thanks guys! Still trying to find some pics. I didnt take any this year and figured Id pirate a bunch off the various places they pop up but so far I aint found any.

Scanspeak are awesome speakers. No other way to put it. Their tweeters are just pure excellence. Their mids are equally great BUT they wont work in a door or IB. Youll either have to use them in an enclosure or in a AP setup. Theyre also VERY pricey!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D