RT-800i FOUND

Options
opus007
opus007 Posts: 17
edited September 2003 in Speakers
In respons to my previous thread....Found what I was looking for.A CC 60 miles away had one.And new in the box.Did not get it at the price of 39.00 I got the first one for>This one cost me 142.00, but still for under 200...did I do ok.Now it is time to break them in.At first listen I was not sure I liked them but I understand they need to get broke in.And as I listen to them they are sounding better than my first impression.Being new to Polk I was not sure what to expect as you can listen to them all day long in a store and get them home and realize this is not what you wanted.But they do rock.Seems they take more power to drive from my receiver than my other speakers that these are replacing.Time to upgrade my center and rears also I suspect.Anyway looks like I am on a journey to PolkDome.Thanks for the help guys.Suggestions for center and rears and a new sub all welcome.My current center is a CS120.Sub= El Chepo RCA,Rears=Sony bookshelf.This will all take time as my pockets are not deep.
Post edited by opus007 on

Comments

• fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Glad to hear you found a match. I think you will be happy with what you have once you finish your system and get things tweaked to how you like them. For what you paid you got a SMOKE'n DEAL

Just a few things I would suggest.

1. research BI-wire for the RT800i, some say it makes a big difference some say it doesn't. Test it on your own and decide if you think it is worth the time.

2. If you can try and timber match your speakers. This means getting speakers from the same series line as the RT800i's or something close. I found my system made a BIG improvement when I was able to timber match my speakers. The tweaters on the RT800i's are tri-laminant and the new RT line are silk-dome. They offere some changes in performance and sound, just do some reasearch on this forum.

3. use the best wire you can afford, wire will, in my opinion, make a difference.

4. The Polk's are power hungry, the more power you can feed them the better they may sound.

5. If you are going with the Home Theater setup go with a sub. Many say the Polk subs dont give you the bang for the buck as some other subs do. when you ask a sub question you will get a million different answers, in the end it comes down to your personal preference. Most popular subs seem to be from SVS, and HSU which I believe are online only shops. There are also some good subs at CC and places like that, again its a matter of what you like and want.

6. This hobby gets expensive! There is always something else you could get to tweak things, but if you do it right you can also get a great sounding setup for a good price. I paid well under $1000 for my whole setup including receiver, speakers and wire you just have to shop around.

7. If you don't know just search the forum or ask. There are all kinds of really helpful people here.

Best of luck and welcome to the world of Polk Audio!
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • opus007
    opus007 Posts: 17
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Thanks...Is there a good link for bi-wiring.Also I notice you have a rear center.What is it's purpose and do you need a 6.1 receiver as mine is 5.1 sony str-de845.does the rear center output the same sound as the front center.What is a good receiver for the 800i's.
  • fgr41
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by opus007
    Thanks...Is there a good link for bi-wiring.Also I notice you have a rear center.What is it's purpose and do you need a 6.1 receiver as mine is 5.1 sony str-de845.does the rear center output the same sound as the front center.What is a good receiver for the 800i's.

my Sony STR-DE985 is a 6.1 setup. the rear center is most often just a bit of the rear's redirected to a center channel. its a subtle speaker meaning it doesn't throw out that much sound.

One thing I forgot was using a Radio Shack sound level meter to help balance out your speakers. You want to have all of the speakers to have the same level of sound.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • fgr41
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I see someone selling a CS245i in the flea market section of this forum. It is a timber match to your system, you may want to see what he will sell it for. Avg price is 80-120.

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?recent=1&category=5
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV