Does this float your boat?

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited September 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
These look really cool. Maybe for an SACD player?

http://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store/showProduct.cgi?id=247
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited September 2003
    They certainly look cool, but in no way would I pay $115 each for them.

Bright Star Audio offers alot of sound deadening plates, and isolation platforms.

Max - What have you heard about the AES AE-3 Tube Pre-Amp? Is it good?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Speaking of tweaks....

Anyone seen a good, cheap CD mat?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited September 2003
    I'm afraid I've heard nothing. Of course that means nothing. :D
    madmax

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2003
    That looks very interesting but the price is too high. Imagine buying a few sets for your componenents?$:o$

Hey doro, I'm looking for a tube DAC also. Something under $500USD.

Maurice
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited September 2003
    Russ,

I've been eying this Aurex mat for a while:

http://www.hcmaudio.com/comp.asp?compID=266

Man they make some unbelievable claims. I have never tried one myself but would love to hear a review from someone in this forum.

I don't know... 25 bucks may not be that inexpensive. You would think the damn thing would only cost 10 bucks or so. I don't know.. I guess I'm skeptical on this one.

Paul
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2003
    I think your supposed to dance around in loin cloth and smear chicken blood on your gear inorder for those things to work properly......The Audio Vodoo-Zen Whoopie cushions work just as well!;)
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2003
    Thanks for the link Paul, for $25 I'll probably check it out. Lowest price I have found was upwards of $50.

It's all about jitter. I can see how it could improve the sound in some scenarios. Mass-loading is a big player with cd sources. Some will sand bag the top of the player, some go as far to locate the master clock oscillator crystal in their cd player or dac, and place a small sandbag directly on top of it! Make sense, the crystal is piezoelectric, and generate output when vibrated.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited September 2003
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    I think your supposed to dance around in loin cloth and smear chicken blood on your gear inorder for those things to work properly......The Audio Vodoo-Zen Whoopie cushions work just as well!;)

Well, I tried it and it didn't work. Do you know how to get chicken blood out of your hair?
    madmax

• RuSsMaN
    edited September 2003
    Originally posted by madmax
    Well, I tried it and it didn't work. Do you know how to get chicken blood out of your hair?
    madmax

Pubic or regular? What *gear* did you rub it on?

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Pubic or regular? What *gear* did you rub it on?

Cheers,
    Russ
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited September 2003
    Russ - Since you didnt say, and PJ did, you mean a CD disc mat? I have some of those self adhesive rings that came out ages ago on some discs in my library. It is a 1/2" ring that goes around the whole disc, to "remove" vibration, etc.

I honestly did not notice a sonic difference, but perhaps I wasn't as particular as I am now. I will A/B them if you wish to see if its obvious, but don't expect magic. I have them on a Rush Chronicles CD, and also have that same disc w/o rubber, both Redbook.

Organ - Yep thats the price range for me also, tho' <400 would be even better. I have no knowledge of tube pre's but looks like a thread is needed.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2003
    Thanks for the link Paul. I'll probably get one. $25 is cheap compared to the money we spend on IC's and speaker wire without knowing if it's a good match for the system.

Maurice
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2003
    Those little feet look good. I recently got a couple of fairly large magnets and am gonna try to build a platform for my turntable someday.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Shielding, gidrah, shielding...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    edited September 2003
    Maybe shield them the same way as speakers? Glue together an oposing pole on both the top and bottom one?
    madmax

• gidrah
    edited September 2003
    Help me out here. Why would they need to be shielded?
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Read the link again. It's the secret and the reason why they cost so damn much...

You do not want a magnet near a phono cartridge. One way or another (MM vs. MC) your cartridge is generating its own, very weak magnetic field to induce a very low voltage current. Has to far and away be the most sensitive of any source.

max,
    I'm not sure if bucking magnets will do it here. Even in "shielded" speakers they do not eliminate the escaping magnetic field. May knock it down 90% or so, but not eliminate it.

Had this conversation with Matt himself during my visit. I just mentioned in passing that my SRS's had dug into a Proton TV pretty badly before I knew it...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gidrah
    edited September 2003
    Thanks. That'll save me some time. I know I've seen magnetically elevated TT platforms before. Come to think of it, they looked pretty expensive too.