Weird hum situation... solved but not sure how

Options
Jetmaker737
Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,013
So I was hooking up a Yaqin tube buffer between my CDP and AVR (which is used as pre). When I powered it on I got a nasty hum from the speakers. Note that I already have a hum-x in my system. I have rat shack IC's for now that I intend to replace (along with the PC on the Yaqin).

While looking at the connections I noticed that I could make the hum stop to varying degrees by touching the input IC, having my hand near the input IC, having my hand hovering over the CDP, or re-locating the Yaqin. Relocating is what I ended up doing and now all is well.

Can anyone clue me in to what was causing the hum?
SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
Post edited by Jetmaker737 on

Comments

• kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I had a pair of AQ that did that. When I took the ends apart, one ground wire was disconnected at the solder point and could/ would touch the positive. I replaced them and volia, no problem.
    I think you need new cables, IMO. Course yo do anyway....LOL
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2009
    Options
    you probably grounded the IC when you touched it.. as kcoc321 said.. you may have an open ground solder or wire in your IC
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Not really this stuff can do some weird things from time to time. I was testing some speakers and I had an I-pod directly going into the amp. Suddenly I started hearing the radio come over the speakers, only problem it did it even when ever I disconnected the I-pod and just had the plug-IC going to the amp and it was some religious station to boot, weird!
  • kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited October 2009
    Options
    zarrdoss...God was speakin to you....hehe
    What did they say?
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,013
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Yep, my crappy IC's must be the culprit. Thanks! Another good reason to upgrade.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette