The rig

scottdawg
scottdawg Posts: 166
edited September 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Here it is, I finally get to post a couple pics of this new setup. Thanks to Paul, aka pjdami, from whom I purchased the NAD C270. This rig is everything I expected and more. Plenty of clean raw power that pushes my SDA's with ease. The ASL tube pre and Cal Audio DX1 cd player make for a fine combination.
Post edited by scottdawg on

Comments

• scottdawg
    edited September 2003
  • scottdawg
    edited September 2003
  • scottdawg
    edited September 2003
    the last pic shows one set of DH labs interconnects and one set of Monster cable from way back. Next tweek is to replace the MC
  • scottdawg
    edited September 2003
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited September 2003
    Scott - Very nice, love the look of the tube pre-amp...classic and vintage look.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Lookin' GOOD brotha.

What model ASL? What brand speaker cables? What model SDA?

http://mapleshaderecords.com/tweaks/tubeanchors.html

Try it!!!

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • scottdawg
    edited September 2003
    Thanks guys, Russ the ASL is a model LH-01, it uses the 6DJ8,6922 variant amp tubes and a 6BM8 power tube. I have 6 different sets of 6922's and like the Mullards best in this setup.It has a headphone stage that has not been used yet. Bought brand new from the dude at the Stereo Shop (high end place) for $400.
    Speaker cables DH labs Silver Sonic T-14. $100 for 10' pair. same guy.
    SDA SRS 2 pre 1987 blade/blade. in very good condition ( couple scratches) $350. found in the classified ads.
    Got the DX1 for $200 in Atlanta and of course the C270 for $325.

I included prices for ya cause I know how you search out the deals and find them. Heres a pic of my SDA's
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Sweet rig, I've got blade/blade SRS 2's also ($400 local).

Incredible speaker system, absolutely full-range. They will go with me to my grave, or end up at the Rancho-de-Troy, nowhere else.

I'm looking at baggin' a tube pre similar to yours in the not-so-distant future. I'd like to close escrow on an older Phase Linear or Carver to pull amp duty, but for now, my little 60wpc Rotel works em' good.

I'm tellin' ya, it's the best of both worlds, sand (horse) power, bottle pre stage. GOLD!

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2003
    Awesome system Scott! That NAD amp is very good. I had fun a few nights ago with the ASL hooked up to the NAD. Tube pres can really make SS amps shine.
    What combination of tubes are you using on the ASL? I'm still trying out different tubes to get an even warmer sound.

Maurice
  • scottdawg
    edited September 2003
    I am so impressed with my SDA's, the guy at the stereo shop wants to modify my crossovers to eliminate the SDA effect. He didnt like the SDA "gimmick" and said that set polk back in his opinion leading him to quit carrying the line. He is a purist no doubt. The guy knows his **** and carries a great line of eq. but I aint lettin him eff with my SDA's.
  • scottdawg
    edited September 2003
    Organ, Thanks man. This is my first tube gear so my expierience is limited. I have played with the 6922's quite a bit and like the Mullards the best so far. My other setup really reacted alot more radical to the tube changes than this one does, in that system (B & K ST3030 / JBL L100T ) the Amperex not PQ or Bugle boys calmed the highs and brought out a defined precise mid, the lows were kind and deep. I dont think what I recommend will necessarily work for your rig after expieriencing what I have with my two rigs.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2003
    Scottdawg,
    Looks great!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2003
    If you decide to mod the SDA's, make sure you ask him to return the stock x-over, etc incase you want your SDA effect back.

Dude, you have to try out Sarah Brightman's "Harem" on your system. I didn't really like the sound when I was running pure SS but it's now one of my favorite CD to listen to with tubes.

Yeah, our pre amps use different tubes but I was just wondering which combo is working well with your set up. I'm guessing the power tube powers the headphone section?
    I'm going to get some Mullards soon for the pre and amp. My experience with NOS tubes is limited because the only NOS tubes I own are for the phase splitters on the amp. I have a pair of RFT pre amp tubes coming (1980's from East Germany). But I hear current production tubes are getting very close to NOS. I'm seeing more and more copies of older designs. My Ei12AX7 is a copy of the Telefunken smooth plate and it sounds amazing on vocals. the JJ has a more "snappy" sound and more bass but Ei is smoother.

Maurice
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited September 2003
    Scott,

Setup looks very sweet man. Glad to see you are digging the amp with your setup which is killer. So good to see her being put to such great use and having found such a good home.

Take care bud,
    Paul

p.s. 9/20/2003 are you ready for the top ten showdown?
  • scottdawg
    edited September 2003
    Paul, 9/20/2003..... Could be the best two teams in the country almost certain in the SEC. Is the kickoff time set? Im really liking the way things are looking for us. I saw that score against Arizona thats the way it should be every time the SEC plays out of conference great job. Oh and the rig Suweeeeeettttttt.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2003
    Looks like a really sweet system! A question about the guy who wants to modify your SDA's: Has he heard and is familiar with the SDA sound or is he just turned off because he thinks he doesn't like the idea? There is a difference. Actually, as far the "purist" idea goes, the SDA's are pure since the system is passive and the sound is done acousticly. (but that is another debate which would go on forever). I understand the difference and what he is talking about but lets face it, it all comes down to how close the system sounds to to a "live" acoustic (not amplified with a PA) performance, not how closely it re-creates the flaws of the original source material. There are two mindsets here for sure. I'll bet your system is closer to producing a "real" performance than what he is used to.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2003
    Real sweet looking rig ya got there!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • scottdawg
    edited September 2003
    Hey Madmax, I dont know but next time I see him I will ask. I do think he has heard them, If not Ill ask him to come hear mine.
    Thanks gidrah
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2003
    I only wonder because I too have talked to many people who are totally against the polk SDA's but have never actually listened to them. Not that I care that much, I just feel really sorry for them.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D