where I've been/currently am

Options
ohskigod
ohskigod Posts: 6,502
edited September 2009 in The Clubhouse
I am currently a resident of St Joseph's Wayne hospital room 503 bed 2. I have been here since 8/26.

how? you ask? here we go.

on 8/17 I wake up with back pain in my lower left back. I've had back pain before but this was different. I figured I pulled something in my sleep. grab some Aleve on the way to the office and grin and bear it through the pain.

the next day I wake up, and I knew I had to hit the Dr....pain was ramped up. I go to the Doc, he says I sprained the muscle, he gives me prescription strength ibuprofen ans another med i cant remember and I'm on my way with instructions to stay home from work for 4 days and to check in.

he pain basically laughed at the ibuprofen, I go back to the doc, get percoset and he orders me an xray (with eyes toward an MRI afterwards), he also gives me percoset. The Percoset would give me a half hour of relief, then more pain.

Then the fever came, with increased pain.......holy **** kids, this pain was no joke. I've been hit with fists, chairs, barstools and the occasional bat, but this pain had me on the floor.

Enter my first trip to the ER, I believe 8/23 or 24. They check my blood, do a cat scan to check fo kidney stones. white blood cell count is fine and therefore they assume the temperature is from a viral infection....they give me muscle relaxers and send me on my way. The muscle relaxers thanfully give me an hour or so of pain relief, then pain galore. 8/25 I spike a fever of 102+ and the pain is literally making me cry. back to the ER.

things get blurry here, so this will include what I remember and what others told me. At the ER my temp went up t 104. I'm babbling incoherently a this point. I start getiing broad spectrum antibiotics. after 14 hours in the ER I get admitted (waiting for a bed, geting antibiotics and treated the whole time) I dont remember much, but I do remember someone giving me a quick rectal exam by shoving what I assume was his thumb up my ****. he walked out of that room under his own power...........now you know how in bad shape I really was.

from what my wife told me, she thought she has since had her last rational conversation with me.

I get admittd, I barely remember my first 5 days....I know I thought they were building a special bunker in the stall next to my bed and that some enemy force/aliens were holding me against my will. I was NPO during this time (IV only, no food or water). I actually said to my wife "if you were a good wife, you would get me some ice chips". I dont remember it, and I feel terrible about it.

lond story short, MRSA somehow enterred my bloodstreem and seeded in the muscle of my lower left back into my upper left leg. ye[, f&*ing MRSA!!!! how? no clue. Some say it was on my hands and somehow got in through a cut. I also have a persistent GI doc who thinks I had diverticulosis and it came from there. I dont know who I want to be right. I've been in he hospital since getting a full 6 weeks of vencomycin. I am looking at another 2-3 weks in the hospital.

I had a drain installed from the front of my bely to the infection sight in my back in the first week...they said it wouldnt hurt much.....they lied. in there defense, they pumped alot of painkillers/sedative in me which my body apparently has a high resistance to. in the last push of the the Dr drilling into the target, I told him to just do it. He did, I screamed but told the doc not to stop. at least one nurse was crying when it was over.

the drain got some of the pus out but not all, luckily the fluid in my leg gets less as time goes, if it didnt, I would be looking a surgery and it is looking like I ducked that bullet

I am feeling ALOT better now. still some back pain, as there is some onflamation in a joint in my left hip that I cant remember the name of, but a huge nerve runs through it, so any litle inflamation = pain.

I have a pic line in my arm ( for IV and blood draws) and am still getting vancomycin (an antibiotic that if it didnt exist, half the people on this planet would be dead)

I thought me popping my knee 10 yrs ago was my brush with mortality....it wsnt. this was

silver linings here?

a) in terms of the infection, I am ok. the antibiotics are doing there thing
b) I always knew I made out like a fat rat in a cheese factory in the wife department. I didnt think she could convince me more than I kne how much she was in my corner....again, I was wrong. she has been my rock through this. I worry for her and have my friends checking in on hr making sure she is ok. I shodder to thing where I would be without her. I hate that I am putting her through this and that I scared her so much.
c) I lost 40 lbs so far. the weight is staying off. my lifestyle is changing. I am not indestructible anymore.

thanks to the wife for getting me the netbook I am currently writing this on. the only rig I have is an IPOD and Sony earphones....it will do.

I'll keep y'all posted.
Living Room 2 Channel -
Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
Post edited by ohskigod on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Prayers sent for you and your family plus a full recovery. That MRSA is a real bad infection. My daughter and I pray every night together, and she for sure won't let you slip by. Thanks for letting us know.
    Take it easy, but take it.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Wow, sounds scary ohskigod. Hoping for a speedy recovery. Sounds like you are taking a lot of lessons out of this, good for you.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I mentioned to my wife (she will be a pharmacist next year) what you were going through and right away she knew the vencomycin saved your life... God bless and and I shall pray for a speedy recovery for you. Give our thanks to your wife as well, and take her out for a day of pampering when you get out of the hospital. If you need anything just ask..

John
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Lou

WOW Ah ****. Glad you didn't remember much. Hang in there and happy everything is looking up for you. When the wife comes tomorrow just plant a big one her;)

Jim
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Lou

Very sorry to hear about what you have been going through; it is great to hear you are getting better....take care of yourself and get well fast.

My prayers are with you and your family

Mike
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Godspeed getting better bro!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Get well soon! MRSA is no joke.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Dang Lou, you suck! That's not a very good thing to go and do, getting sick like that.

By the way, the thumb in your butt that wasn't yours? Yeah, he was likely checking for the diverticulosis like you mentioned. That's not a good thing to have there and it can cause a lower GI bleed and you know what they are like. Also, a perforated colon, while not as bad as a stomach or intestine being perforated, it can cause sepsis. I've seen first hand what that does and if you think a staph infection was bad, you don't want that. That same pain only all over you body. There is other nasty stuff a diverticulosis can cause, especially if it progresses.

Get yourself better and let the butt doctor check you out and fix that problem. Because it's likely that if that diverticulosis caused the staph infection, it's already compromising things for you. I think I'd rather just have the staph infection.

Hope everything is cool and if there's anything I can do to help, just gimmie a shout.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Holy ****. I wish you a full recovery.

Kelvin
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Wow! I've been feeling like crap the past few days--Since August!! Yikes, I don't feel so bad now.
    When I used to do part time Ambulance transports, I never liked the MRSA cases-we'd dbl glove up(I'd triple) wear face masks, complete ambulance disinfection when the trip was over, etc etc etc. Talk about a stressful day wondering if you did enough before coming home to family.

Anyway I'm glad to hear your already through what appears to be the worst of it. And I hope your wife fares well as well. You've got a good wife there.

Oh and sorry but couldn't resist...on the subject of anal probes and alien bunkers and all... :o:D Hopefully it'll cheer you up a bit :rolleyes:

Cartman_AP.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Us3xXo7aitI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Us3xXo7aitI&hl=en&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Wow, man, that bites! So sorry to hear you've been going through all that! Glad to hear you are on the up swing, though.

Will definitely be praying for you and your recovery!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited September 2009
    Options
    That's some scary stuff, I hope you get well soon. God Bless you and your wife.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited September 2009
    Options
    freaking nightmare bro, rest easy. Thoughts and prayers sent your way man.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Louie, sorry to hear about your woes. I'm glad you are on the upside. I'll be praying for you buddy.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Sorry to hear also,get well friend.

Speaking of getting well,you better be taking care of yourself too Joe,don't make me call the wife and rat you out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Heal up, bro. That post sounds like you went to war.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited September 2009
    Options
    HOLY CRAP Lou!!!!!

Glad your on the mend. Thoughts and prayers to you and yours.

Get well soon.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Get better soon Lou. Our thoughts are with you.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Wow...Lou...that sucks big time. I hope you are getting better. My prayers are for your continued and full recovery.

You've got a month and a half to get well enought to attend PF. We expect you there!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • apphd
    apphd Posts: 1,514
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Scary, painful time for you. Glad to see you're on the mend. Prayers for a speedy recovery to 100%. God bless loving and caring wives! Where would we be without them.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2009
    Options
    So, your in for PF, right?

We'll have oodles of 100 proof, that will ward off any infection.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited September 2009
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    So, your in for PF, right?

We'll have oodles of 100 proof, that will ward off any infection.

BDT

Thats what im talking about.

Glad your coming around.

Pauly
    Life without music would
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited September 2009
    Options
    God Bless you and your wife. Get healthy and stay healthy. It is good to hear you have some great thoughts and a positive attitude. Like others have said, if we can do anything please just let us know.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Lou, I'm so sorry this happened to you, but grateful that you are on the road to recovery. Sending healing thoughts your way & thoughts of strength to your wife.

Keep us posted
    Cathy
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Lou, most of your experience sounds identical to mine.. except I didn't have MRSA, I had a staph infection in my spine. Doc's didn't know what it was for about 48 hours or how to treat it. the worse back and abdominal pain I have ever had. My fever spiked to 104.8 within minutes.. I was also babbling idiot and not making any sense.. my other half was freaking out because I was going down so fast.

Ice packs for 3 hours to get my core temp down.. temps goes down.. then I get a spinal tap, pain meds, lots of tests... MRI, cat scan.. etc.. no answers yet.

Admitted to the hospital, on day 3 they figure out I have a staph infection in my spine and it's resistant to one kind of drug.. so they up the drug strength.. and within about 72 hours I start to show some signs of pain relief and improvement. hospital stay 8 days.

it kicked my ****.

I can't even imagine having the tougher to treat MRSA.

Thoughts and prayers sent your way for a full recovery.

* I have a friend right now in the hospital who got hit with MRSA just over a week ago. He's still in the hospital, they had to do surgery on his leg to remove some skin, his kidneys aren't working, and he's not waking up. He's in really bad condition. I hope for the best for him too.

** This has been the most effed up year for people getting severe illnesses. I never want to relive this f*ckin year again. OMG.

sorry to vent in your thread Lou. get bettter soon.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Get well soon!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I am sorry to hear of your serious medical ordeal. Thank God that they have been able to treat you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck Lou!
    Carl

• wz2p7j
    wz2p7j Posts: 840
    edited September 2009
    Options
    What is an MRSA infection? Just did an internet search and no hits? Chris
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Lou,, Janice and I will keep you and your family in our prayers,,I remember meeting you for the first time at Ted's. You are the type of good natured fellow that one remembers,,get well soon.:)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • wz2p7j
    wz2p7j Posts: 840
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Also, don't get the 104 degree and babbling idiot correlation. I came back from Kathmandu from a hiking trip in 1989 with some sort of weird virus. Body temp spiked like crazy. I was shaking like a leaf as my wife took me to the hospital but coherent. Felt cooler when I got there and my body temp was "down" to 104, still coherent. Of course I was 29 then and usually just babbled a lot anyway. Uh, maybe I've answered my own question.

Chris