will it work properly

broncoberry
broncoberry Posts: 7
edited September 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I have a custom enclosure that is .57 cubic ft and 7 inches in depth and wanted to know will the polk momo 10 sub work properly in this enclosure if so at what wattage does it need
Post edited by broncoberry on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited August 2003
    which momo 10"?
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    i believe both the "big" and "little" momo 10's require a 0.66 cubic foot box... so 0.57 is a little small but it oughta work fine if you shove about a half a pound of poly fill in there or maybe a hair more... the depth wont be a problem.

the big momo 10 calls for 400 --- 500 would be nice
    the little momo 10 calls for 300 --- as i've yet to play with it, you should prolly just go with spec, 300 or a shade above.

both are 4 ohm subs.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • broncoberry
    edited August 2003
    i'd like to put the big 10 momo in there
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited August 2003
    so you have the mm104...or getting it or whatever
    the box is a little small
    but it will work with a 1/2-3/4 lb of poly fil stuffed in the box...you can get it at your local walmart...hobby lobby...its a stuffing for like pillows and stuff...someone got bored one day and put it in a sub box and found out it helped out
    it makes the sub think the box is bigger
    that sub with a 500watt amp should sound very nice
    -Cody
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited August 2003
    Make sure that box is a 3/4 inch MDF or better also with a big momo.
    "The Big C"
  • broncoberry
    edited September 2003
    is 5/8 mdf good enough
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited September 2003
    Um, 5/8ths is smaller than 3/4" and will most likely not have enough strutural strength to hold together the box shape let alone support a heavy MOMO sub. It has been a long time since I bothered with MDF so I don't remember what size I used. I prefer to think of it as "The Dark Ages" and use the excuse that there was a lack of documentation to support historical evidence.

However, if you get yourself a higher grade material like cabinet/furniture grade plywood or, if you really want to break your bank, solid wood, there will be plenty of strength in a 3/4 inch thickness. Cabinet grade plywood is also know as veneer plywood and is used for finishing purposes. Its usually the highest grade plywood that you can buy at Home Depot or some place similar. Anything less is construction grade and used for flooring, sheathing, roofing and what not. Its full of voids and knots and totally not good for constructing anything that you want to look nice and far from what should be used for a speaker box.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!