why 9 channels?

gmorris
gmorris Posts: 1,179
edited August 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I just read a press release for the new Yamaha receiver with 9 channels. Could someone explain what the 9 channels are for.

My thoughts are the 7x170 watt channels are a typical 7.1 surround setup, with the 2x50 watt channels serving as powered Zone 2. Is that correct?

Also, is the Yamaha electronic company the same as the motor company? Different divisions, obviously, but is it the same company?
Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
Post edited by gmorris on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2003
    It might be for the two front effect speaker, if Yamaha is still doing that?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2003
    The 2 additional channels are for "Front Effects," I've read a few threads at HTF about it sometime ago. If I were to add 2 more speakers I'd have to find a new place to live!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited August 2003
    If I were to add 2 more speakers I'd have to find a new place to live!!

more important would be to find a wife that can live with 9.1 speakers in a living room;)
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2003
    screw that, lets just buy our own movie theater
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited August 2003
    Well Yamaha receivers do front/back surround in 7.1 Not side/back (unless they changed that).

I could see 10.2...

Mains (2)
    rear center/center (2)
    front/back/side surrounds (6)
    Subwoofers (2)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2003
    What Yamaha does is like regular 7.1 plus the front effect speakers which provide more height to the soundstage. They are placed higher and wider than the mains.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited August 2003
    aahh... yes . a speaker for the ceiling ...or else called "the voice of God" ceiling channel !! ;)
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111