LSi7 or Rti38's Please help me decide

Options
adclark
adclark Posts: 29
edited August 2003 in Speakers
Ok, I currently have Rti28's for my 2 channel set-up and a 404 sub. I live in a condo so space is important. Most of my listening will be 90% 2channel music. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Rti38's for fronts and moving the 28's to the rear. The 38's are on closeout at C.C. But, our local Polk dealer (not c.c) said he would give me a pretty good deal on the LSi7 in the next couple of weeks. Would the LSi 7 show a big improvement over the 38's?
Post edited by adclark on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Not a cut and dry answer........

What kind of amp are you using? If it doesn't do 4 ohm loads well, then the 7's wouldn't be the way to go. Also, it would depend on if your plans are to eventually upgrade all of your speakers to the LSi line (I know you're mostly listening to 2 channel). I would probably just stick with the 38's, which ARE a big improvement over the 28's.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I actually concur with Brett 100%.
    Good answer.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2003
    Options
    How loud do you like to listen to the music? I live in an apartment and am usually in the 65-70db range, so my Yamaha receiver does fine. I'm saving for an amp though, because I know when i get a house I will be cranking things up. Keep in mind most receivers can put out a lot more power in 2 channel mode than surround sound.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited August 2003
    Options
    As long as you plan on getting an amp......LSi.......most definetely! lol!

Fireshoes, your setup tho....kicks some major tail!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Well my system is a hodge podge of LSI's and the RTi series. But the Lsi kicks major ****.

And I also have the 7's. It really is a great speaker that is vastly over looked because of the 9's. Nice thing about the 7's though is that when you upgrade you will be able to put the 7's in the rear, and add 9's or the 15's up front.

Trust me you will want to upgrade after hearing the 7's! Good luck. :)
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by avelanchefan
    Trust me you will want to upgrade after hearing the 7's! Good luck. :)
    That's no way to sell the speaker.....;)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by adclark
    Would the LSi 7 show a big improvement over the 38's?

That depends on your tastes. To me the 38's have a more plush sound, while the 7's are more accurate and have a smoother sound to them.

If you listen to more acoustic music in a proper set-up, and have a capable system, I'd say go for the 7s in a heartbeat.

If you listen to R&R or are looking forward to setting up a 5.1 HT rig ("...and moving the28's to the rear), I'd go with the 38's. These are some mighty fine speakers and have a very comforting sound. Besides, if you're transitioning to 5.1, a center will be a less expensive and they'll match your rears.

Then there's the whole 4 ohm capability issue. I've heard electronics that give a 4 ohm rating (usually doubled by default) that just couldn't do it. I've also heard electronics that give no 4 ohm rating that took it like a champ. Either way, it's sometimes hard to find a receiver or external amp (especially if it's a single amp funning al channels),that will handle 4 ohm fronts ( and center?) and 8 ohm rears in a smooth fashion.

For 2 ch. or planning for future upgrades, try out the 7's. If this doesn't fit your M.O., go with the 38's. Either way I don't think you'll be dissappointed.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • trinhl
    trinhl Posts: 36
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Hi,
    I was able to audition the Rti38 and the Lsi7 and choose the Lsi7. I have had Rt600i, Rt800i, Rti70 and currently have the Lsi7. I a/b the Lsi7 with Rt600i, Rti70 at home and pick the Lsi7 with sub. The high and mid range are crystal clear, more vivid, more open, wider sound stage than the RT series. My receiver is an Onkyo 595 with the 4 ohm switch load, it runs warmer then normal so I set a small clip fan on the back to help cooling the receiver. I usually listen to music (80%)/movies (20%) around 85-90db. I normally set the volume dial to 40-45 with the RT series but have to turn the dial to 50-55 with the Lsi7 on the receiver. I have the Lsi7 for about 3 months and love it and no problem with the receiver. I recommend you to listen the Lsi7/Rti38, you will hear the differences.
    Good Luck, Linh