Computer Speaker Help

Options
watson
watson Posts: 14
Hey, I have some old PolkAudio speakers that came with a Hewlett Packard PC. I don't know which ones they are but I've been trying to hook up other speakers to those and I did everything correctly, but I had put the connection through the Headphone hole to make the other speakers work. Last night I was testing it and it was fine, but today I turned the volume up on them and they shut off out of no where. I checked all the plugs for electricity, but still nothing. I'm guessing I blew the speakers, did I? I wouldn't think they would just turn off, just have the sound be horrible. Someone help me out, I'll post a picture of the speakers if needed.
Post edited by watson on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum :)

Are they grey? and mount to the monitor?? or little cubes that set on your desk?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • watson
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome.. Yeah they're the grey ones that mount to the monitor. I'm still just thinking why if I did blow em up that the power went off...
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2003
    Options
    What brand sound card do you own. I will tell you what happen to me, with same speakers.

I had an old Soundblaster card(PCI-128), worked fine, speakers worked fine. When I built my new computer, I picked up a new Soundblaster Audigy 2 card. Now all of a sudden the speakers don't work correctly. I have to turn the volume up ALL the way to get even a little sound.

I eventually went and built a computer stereo system, using the output from the card. Needless to say this is very loud, and back to normal.

This is what I found out later. The output voltage from the Audigy 2 is too low to drive my HP speakers. They are unpowered, and the Audigy apparently likes a powered speaker.

Things to check:

Ensure that in your "Sound & Audio Devices"(Advanced) nothing is muted. Play a song on your CDROM while playing with these settings, you may have something set too low, by default.

Make sure you are using the right output from the soundcard. I have 3 options for music, 2 of which don't work. Its a 5.1 surround card. The 1 I use is for the front three speakers, the other two are for surrounds, and the subwoofer. If I use either of these, I get zero sound.

Remember you have a microphone jack and something else I can't recall. Neither of which will work, but will make your speakers Pop and Crackle. If the volume was real high when you used either of these jacks, you may have indeed harmed something.

Re-install your drivers for the soundcard.

If nothing works let me know, I have pair of these in my goody box. I can let you use them for troubleshooting, if they work then send me a couple bucks for shipping costs. If they don't, just send them back.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • watson
    edited August 2003
    Options
    What brand sound card do you own. I will tell you what happen to me, with same speakers.
    I really don't know too much about what soundcard I have, the computer is about 6 years old I want to say. Is there a way for me to find out which kind, its the one that came with the computer is the best I could tell you.
    I had an old Soundblaster card(PCI-128), worked fine, speakers worked fine. When I built my new computer, I picked up a new Soundblaster Audigy 2 card. Now all of a sudden the speakers don't work correctly. I have to turn the volume up ALL the way to get even a little sound.

I eventually went and built a computer stereo system, using the output from the card. Needless to say this is very loud, and back to normal.

This is what I found out later. The output voltage from the Audigy 2 is too low to drive my HP speakers. They are unpowered, and the Audigy apparently likes a powered speaker.
    I'm guessing the soundcard you talk about there is most likely the one I have now.
    Things to check:

Ensure that in your "Sound & Audio Devices"(Advanced) nothing is muted. Play a song on your CDROM while playing with these settings, you may have something set too low, by default.
    That was the first thing I did, but still the power from the speakers is still off, I have everything plugged in too.
    Make sure you are using the right output from the soundcard. I have 3 options for music, 2 of which don't work. Its a 5.1 surround card. The 1 I use is for the front three speakers, the other two are for surrounds, and the subwoofer. If I use either of these, I get zero sound.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure I'm using the right output because I didn't change any of the plugs into diffrent spots.
    Remember you have a microphone jack and something else I can't recall. Neither of which will work, but will make your speakers Pop and Crackle. If the volume was real high when you used either of these jacks, you may have indeed harmed something.
    I think you may be right with me harming something inside the computer with turning the volume too loud. But it still doesn't explain why the speakers won't go back on.
    Re-install your drivers for the soundcard.
    I would... but I don't have any of the software. Since we lost it all somehow, bad move.
    If nothing works let me know, I have pair of these in my goody box. I can let you use them for troubleshooting, if they work then send me a couple bucks for shipping costs. If they don't, just send them back.
    I probably would take your offer up on that but I'm probably going to goto Radio Shack and by some better computer speakers there if thats what I did blow out. Do you think it could be the sound card and not the speakers? Thanks for all your help.
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I really don't know too much about what soundcard I have, the computer is about 6 years old I want to say. Is there a way for me to find out which kind, its the one that came with the computer is the best I could tell you.

Go to your Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/Sound, Video and Game Controller...Your soundcard should be listed here.

....this is for XP, but all Windows are basically the same.
    I think you may be right with me harming something inside the computer with turning the volume too loud. But it still doesn't explain why the speakers won't go back on.

If you damaged anything, it will be your speakers. Very unlikely that you damaged your soundcard or computer.
    I would... but I don't have any of the software. Since we lost it all somehow, bad move.

When we find out your soundcard manufacturer, we can find the drivers.
    I probably would take your offer up on that but I'm probably going to goto Radio Shack and by some better computer speakers there if thats what I did blow out. Do you think it could be the sound card and not the speakers? Thanks for all your help.

This certainly cannot hurt, pick up a pair, hook them up. If voila! you have sound again, then great. If you still have sound issues, drivers are the next thing to check, and just return the speakers. We'll go from there.

No problem on the help thing, let me know what you find.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Hey Watson,

My Grandfather has the "cubed" polk speakers, and I can bearly hear the sound also.

So basically after reading this thread I should go and get him newer speakers that are more powerful right?
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • watson
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Go to your Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/Sound, Video and Game Controller...Your soundcard should be listed here.

....this is for XP, but all Windows are basically the same.

My soundcard is: Crystal Pnp Audio System MPU-1 Compatible

This certainly cannot hurt, pick up a pair, hook them up. If voila! you have sound again, then great. If you still have sound issues, drivers are the next thing to check, and just return the speakers. We'll go from there.

Okay, I'll head out to Radio Shack tomarrow.
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Watson - OK, sounds good. I ran a search for drivers for that card, and had quite a few hits. Most are generic, and not helpful, so it will take time to sort them out. Hopefully the speaker issue is solved soon.

What is your computer model and WinXX??? This would help me, I should have asked previously.
  • watson
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Watson - OK, sounds good. I ran a search for drivers for that card, and had quite a few hits. Most are generic, and not helpful, so it will take time to sort them out. Hopefully the speaker issue is solved soon.
    Thank you so much for helping me out with all this.
    What is your computer model and WinXX??? This would help me, I should have asked previously.
    Hewlett Packard Pavillion 8360... Windows98
  • watson
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by avelanchefan
    Hey Watson,

My Grandfather has the "cubed" polk speakers, and I can bearly hear the sound also.

So basically after reading this thread I should go and get him newer speakers that are more powerful right?

From what me and dorokusai have been talking about I believe it might be those. But check your system volume controls first!!!
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Since were on the subject of Polk's version of **** computer speakers......my grandparents have some of the little cubes that come with the HP's....they have a "Crystal Audio" or something like taht sound card......when you turn it up to even a reasonable volume it distorts, almost like the amp is clipping. I don't think the speakers are hitting xmax b/c the problem happens with high freq's too. I'm goin to their house later today so ill take a portable cd player and a rat shack headphone amp to see if the sound card is to blame. Any other thoughts? Could i just be expecting to much from those little ****?
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2003
    Options
    RS - It is a shame but I would barely call most computer speakers...speakers at all. At least not in our forum happy sense.

They really are underperforming from the start. The new software and games these days have really left lo-fi computer speakers in the closet. I think that Klipsch was one of the first to really address this seriously, as well as Logitech. They may not be SDA's or LSi's, but not too shabby for computer rig speakers. The voltages on newer cards have become lower, so the need for powered speakers has increased, not just for volume, but for being driven.

Check that out, its a good idea. Bottom line tho' is they just suck. I set fire to a pair of computer speakers in my backyard, just out of spite. I want to see them sound like shite now :)
  • avelanchefan
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Also Monsoon makes a nice set of 2.1 speakers also. I checked them out at CC and they sounded fairly good compared to the Klipsch. And for the price they were about 100 dollars in difference.

I have Altec Lansings. I am very happy with mine.....for comupter speakers.:)
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Avelanche - Yea, I am sorry, I by no means meant to say that all of them suck....I should rephrase and say it wasn't until recently that manufacturers realized there is a good market for better gear.

The Altec has a few different lines, that's pretty cool to have options.
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    RS - It is a shame but I would barely call most computer speakers...speakers at all. At least not in our forum happy sense.

They really are underperforming from the start. The new software and games these days have really left lo-fi computer speakers in the closet. ...

*:lol: exactly my sentiments. the polk cubes sound better than most little cracker jack box speakers that come with computers these days, and they would probably make good little speakers for a portable or something, assuming you treat them well as i have found the grilles are a bit fragile, and all kinds of nasties can get in that port.

Check that out, its a good idea. Bottom line tho' is they just suck. I set fire to a pair of computer speakers in my backyard, just out of spite. I want to see them sound like shite now :)

*:lol: I still dont know if I could do that to any polk product :lol:
  • watson
    edited August 2003
    Options
    http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F002%5F007%5F000&Page=1

On that page there is two speaker setups that I was considering buying. The 3-Piece Amplified Multimedia Speaker System for $50 and the Amplified Speaker System 2.1 for $30 since they both have subs. On the next page, Two Amplified Desktop Computer Speakers for basic speakers without the sub for $15. Which of the 3 should I get? From whichever ones I do purchace I would want to hook up more speakers to them. Any suggestions?
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I think the one for $50 looks a little better. It has more amplification, and larger subwoofer, or it looks like it is larger.

Check that one out. Let us know what you pick up.
  • avelanchefan
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Well you need to go with the 50 dollar syastem. The 30 dollar system his for gaming consols like the ps2 and Xbox.

But the 50 dollar one looks very good.

Also these setups are really nice too.

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-11322&qp=033053304&bookmark=bookmark_6&oid=63275

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-11322&qp=033053304&bookmark=bookmark_11&oid=24207
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • watson
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Hey again everyone, sorry its been so long. I went to RadioShack today and ordered the $50 one. It'll take a week to get here so i'll give updates then.
  • watson
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Hey everyone I installed the new speakers and sub from RadioShack today, this one..
    40-1448.jpg
    I put them on the newer computer since the old one [the Hewlett Packard] is no more and is now a Dell. The sound quality isn't as good as my old speakers [Harman/Kardon], but the bass is definally better. Heres what my old speakers looked like..
    pd_champagne.jpg
    Heh, now if there was only a way to connect my old speakers to the new sub :D