Rocks!!

Options
After reading a few threads on bass management I decided to take up one of the suggestions for tightening and improving bass sound. I recently purchased an old house(100yrs), it is pretty solid but, still, with the wood floors my small CamSndwrks sub was a bit boomy in the 20x16 LR.
I went to my local garden center and picked up a 1ft sq. by 1"thick piece of Blue Montauc for $5.75. (actually a nice looking piece of stone)
Although, I haven't fully "calibrated" my system yet, I noticed a difference right away.
This was a very economical way to enhance my system and get more out of a small sub.
Thanks for the suggestions!!
Shawn
Comcast HDTV X1
VM10 (Center)
VM10 (Front Mains)
FXi30 (surrounds)
Cambridge Soundworks Cube8 (sub)
Post edited by mccarts747 on

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,660
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Nothing like a $6 upgrade that actually makes an audible difference. Good job!
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Once again, you see the benefits of decoupling the sub from a wooden floor. The heavier and denser the slab, the less it will be prone to movement and vibration transmission. Add a second one and see if it works even better!
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2003
    Options
    not to hijack this thread. but i'm curious. i have carpet and pad over a solid concrete floor. will i get any improvement?

thanks, Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    not to hijack this thread. but i'm curious. i have carpet and pad over a solid concrete floor. will i get any improvement?

thanks, Al

Unlikely. Carpet and padding are a poor media for vibration transmission and the concrete floor won't move or create any of its own sound at all. You're good to go.

Doc

SVS
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited August 2003
    Options
    what about carpet and padding on a wooden floor that is raised from the ground?
    Life without music would
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,126
    edited August 2003
    Options
    hmm....turn off your speakers, leave on your subwoofer. That should answer that riddle....lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Pauly
    edited August 2003
    Options
    sid,
    i have nothing that vibrates. Maybe i understood wrong from the orig post about bass mgt and making it sound tighter with the slab and i was asking if it would work on my floors which are raised wooden with caprt and padding on top. Does this not make sense or am i the one who is confused?:confused::confused::confused:
    Life without music would
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by spasticpitbull
    what about carpet and padding on a wooden floor that is raised from the ground?

Sid was just busting your balls.

The presence of carpeting and padding, in my experience, does next to nothing to prevent a powerful subwoofer from transmitting vibration, motion, and sound to a wooden floor over an open space.

Jump up and down on the floor. Can you feel it moving and can you hear it make a low frequency boom? If so, you need to isolate the sub from the floor. I've seen powerful subs (especially downward firing) turn wooden floors into virtual trampolines, and they start creating a sound of their own, adding boom to the bass.

While wooden floors over open spaces are IMO the bane of good bass, if you are stuck with one then by all means try to decouple the sub from the floor with something large, heavy, and dense. 2" slate or a concrete slab (like a paver or an A/C pad) usually helps greatly.

Doc

SVS
  • Pauly
    edited August 2003
    Options
    thanks doc, will try. And cant really bust Sid's ball cuz i hear hes only 14...oh well in a few years :)
    Life without music would