The vinyl is spreading, the vinyl is spreading...

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited August 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I never thought I would see this many people on this forum into vinyl.
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2003
    Yep, I dusted off the Pioneer the other day and have been watching a couple of auctions/classifieds.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2003
    Unfortunately I have ta put it on hold for a little while.
    Tour I hope you see this. PM me please.
    Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited August 2003
    I just got back from my grandmother's 90th birthday party. Saw a lot of family I haven't seen in years. I mentioned to one cousin i was getting into vinyl. Of course his answer to that was... "I have a lot of records I want to get rid of" woohoo. :) I just have to pick them up in Toronto. I'll be going down in that area in about a month. He said it was a big box, I guessing a good 100 albums. I don't know the shape of them or anything but who cares, right.

You guys have helped me on a few occasions and I'm greatful for it. We just need to keep talking about vinyl and the word will continue to spread.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2003
    I found a great store locally (Earth Pig Music) that sells used vinyl and some new stuff as well. I try not to go in too often though....the incense really gets on my nerves! I've done some work for the owner in the past, he's really into old jazz and blues so the majority of the stuff he sells is along those lines. Most of the stuff goes for $3-10. Where are you guy's getting yours from?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2003
    i dont liek vinyl...sorry wrong generation i guess, or maybe its just that i dont have nice enough components to know

fo now tho CDs all the way :D

(im not tryin to start anything. im sure they both have pros and cons. dont be offended lol)
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2003
    Airplay, I have a piece of crap technics and it smokes similarly priced cd players. You WILL hear a difference. Check out the imaging difference man.
  • Paul Connor
    Paul Connor Posts: 231
    edited August 2003
    Here are a few links for those of you just starting up. I may have posted some of these before, though I cannot remember when.

There are many more sources for vinyl, so keep looking. This seems to be a growth industry with more and more players getting on board all the time. Perhaps the digital formats have not performed as promised?

http://store.acousticsounds.com/

http://www.vvinyl.com/prodsearch.asp

http://www.elusivedisc.com/

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html

http://db.vinylvendors.com/

http://www.vinylunderground.net/

http://www.forevervinyl.com/

http://www.laventure.net/tourist/

http://www.garage-a-records.com/

http://www.turntablebasics.com/index.html

http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm

http://www.furious.com/perfect/vinylanachronist.html

http://turntable.www4.50megs.com/links.htm
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2003
    Thanks! I've always wanted a list of places online for records. Now if only I weren't broke!
  • Paul Connor
    Paul Connor Posts: 231
    edited August 2003
    Of course do not forget ebay and your local use record store.
  • madmax
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by Airplay355
    i dont liek vinyl...sorry wrong generation i guess, or maybe its just that i dont have nice enough components to know

fo now tho CDs all the way :D

(im not tryin to start anything. im sure they both have pros and cons. dont be offended lol)

Funny but I think I said something almost as stupid less than two years ago. Now I have over 300 lps and a TT that is worth more than my car. If you like ONLY popular music then you really do have a point though.
    madmax

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2003
    Vinyl is great:). I'm starting to buy stuff on vinyl that I already own on CD's. It's fun to compare the two formats.

I really enjoyed reading the articles written by the "Vinyl Anachronist". Sorry, I forgot the address. Just go to yahoo.com and type vinyl anachronist.

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Henry,
    Got your messages and see that you got mine...

max,
    I agree. It is nice to see an appreciation of vinyl taking root here.
    IMO CD's are all about convenience and very good sound. Vinyl is about patience and as good or better sound.

Classical is the only music genre where I would give the total edge to CD's. Vinyl just cannot match the dynamic range CD's deliver and the 75 minute capacity of a CD affords us the uninterrupted enjoyment of most symphonies.

Of course you can add in a dbx 3BX III or higher model and come damn close to addressing the dynamic range issue...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • HBombToo
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by ATCVenom

An avenue that I would love to persue later down the road..

I are an an jin eer so... out of my own curiosity is," persue ", spelled correctly?

:D
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Frank Z
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    I are an an jin eer so... out of my own curiosity is," persue ", spelled correctly?

:D

You're an jin eer? Yuz gotts your own oil can and polka dot hat 2?
  • HBombToo
    edited August 2003
    give me some oil and i'll work Dorothy over.

Tin man;)
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    IMO CD's are all about convenience and very good sound. Vinyl is about patience and as good or better sound.

Been there...done that...Still have the T-shirt (Still have the turntable - and a pretty decent one at that). But I won't be getting back into the vinyl scene in a big way. I want to be able to put 5 discs in the changer and switch artist/album/songs at a whim with the click of a button. And if I want high rez - I'll take SACD over vinyl any time.

I have a hundred or so vinyl albums of some very good and hard to find R & R. I won't be getting rid of them any time soon as they can't be easily replaced with quality CD (if at all). However, I have had enough clicks and pops and scratches...flipping the platter for side 2, carefully wiping and cleaning the record, adjusting the tonearm/cartridge/stylus to last a lifetime.

Enjoy the vinyl...that's what makes this hobby great...to each his own. Now excuse me while I load Alison Krauss, Vivaldi, Stevie Ray Vaughan, The Police and Pink Floyd in to the SACD changer for an eclectic listening session.

Oh yeah...it's tough to download LPs on to the hard disc to listen to AC/DC's "For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)" and "Thunderstruck" while you're posting on Club Polk. :D
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2003
    Here is the problem I have with some of the argument in FAVOR of vinyl...

One of the hardcore arguments is that vinyl records sound more natural and the way the music SHOULD sound.. and this is even considering the limitations of vinyl.

So what if way back then the industry had decided on a different medium? So we started with wax and had some metal discs in there, and finally stuck with vinyl. Just for arguments' sake, what if they'd decided the best way to record sound was to .. geez, I don't know... use wood or granite or whatever? Wouldn't the hardcore physical-groove crowd then be proclaiming the inherent betterness of wooden records? It all seems to me to be more about not wanting or liking change, rather than something inherently "better" about vinyl as the medium.

I sort of see this similarly to people who say life could never exist anywhere else because no where else has exactly the same combination of water, oxygen, land, light, etc as Earth. But, just because WE couldn't survive on a planet inherently different, doesn't mean that a completely different form of life doesn't exist there...

Well, OK, maybe the vinyl thing and the life thing aren't similar at all, except that both arguments drop some gravel into my craw and make me want to smack someone in the forehead and say "Doh!"

You guys aren't planning on getting together to listen to records and do each others' toenails... are ya?

Oh.. H... no, persue isn't spelled correctly. It is pursue. You may stop to peruse while you pursue, but not persue.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited August 2003
    I've only been in the vinyl thing for a few months.

I purchased a Rotel RCD1070 back in February and it was a big improvement over my 5 disk yammer changer. Not long after that, I purchased a Thorens TD-160 (From the 70s) off ebay for $160. There are many inconveniences to my TT, i can't crank it because of my setup I get bass feedback when it's too loud. I have to flip the record over when a side is done, I have to clean the record before playing. There is a volume sweetspot that blows my CD player out of the water though and that's with a cheap ortofon cart. I can't imagine what the result will be when I upgrade my TT and cart.

Vinyl isn't about convenience, it's about quality. If I want to skip through songs or have background music or just in a lazy mood, I put a CD in. If I want to sit back and have a serious listening session, I put a record on.

I have a CD copy of mostly all of my records and the only time the CDs best my vinyl is when some of my used vinyl is dirty and needs a serious cleaning. That also includes some newer releases of tip top CD recordings.

I imagine you can get really good results with a very expensive CD player but for the $200 I paid to get going in vinyl, you can't get results like it from a $600 CD player.

Plus, another bonus is when your buddies come over and you put a record on the TT and see their reactions. They expect the hissing, clicking and popping. I've had few wows and man that sounds awesome. They become believers pretty fast.

Derick.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Frank Z
    edited August 2003
    Vinyl is just another way to enjoy music as far as I'm concerned, it's not that I think it is any better than CD's or even tape, it's just vinyl! Some music sounds better to me on vinyl, some sounds terrible. Listen to to what you like on whatever format you chose, as long as you enjoy what you're hearing nothing else matters.
  • madmax
    edited August 2003
    Actually, vinyl was a change for me (from CD's) so the argument about not wanting change is obviously wrong in my case. I see a few advantages to vinyl. No sampling is the biggest. Besides the obvious technical differences there is nothing better than sitting there watching the black circle turn. It may be a gear-head thing. (you know, gear-head as in mechanical appreciation). Much the same as tubes vs SS, things just sound better. If it is a head thing then so be it.
    madmax

Edit: Oh yea, I used to be a song skipper. I'd listen to 1 min of one song, skip 3 and listen to 30 sec of another then maybe go to song 2 and listen to the whole thing. Somehow, I don't mind listening to the whole thing now??? Weird.

• wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by madmax

Edit: Oh yea, I used to be a song skipper. I'd listen to 1 min of one song, skip 3 and listen to 30 sec of another then maybe go to song 2 and listen to the whole thing. Somehow, I don't mind listening to the whole thing now??? Weird.

It would be easier to just throw away your remote!:D