interesting web site

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
edited August 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Hello Forum members,
Here's an interesting web site:
http://djsoucek.webpark.cz/index.htm
Once you're on the home page select "English" then select "Audio HiFi Classic" for a nice collection of vintage audio gear.
Regards, Ken
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited August 2003
    Pretty cool. Wish they had more info on the gear, i.e current values, etc.
    I've got an old Marantz 2252B gathering dust. Be nice to know what it's worth:)
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2003
    Hello Ken,
    According to the 1998 Orion Blue Book, the Marantz 2252B receiver was produced from 1977 until 1978, 52 Watts/channel, sold for $460.00, has a resale value of $95.00. Of course, this is completely dependant on the condition of the unit and the market demand. I hope this is helpful.
    Regards, Ken
  • ken brydson
    edited August 2003
    Hey Ken (nice name:) )
    Thanks for the info. Mine is cosmetically perfect and still sounds nice except some annoying crackle in the pots. I read somewhere that they were prone to some kind of build-up in the pots which caused this. Supposedly a good cleaning would remedy it. My track record with repairing electronics is not very good. I could probably fix it but would break something else in the process. I would expect that service would cost more than the $95 value.
    Oh well :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2003
    Hello Ken,
    Actually that can be one of the easiest problems to cure. If you remove the top cover, of the receiver, hopefully you can see enough of the inside, of the unit, to identify where the control potentiometers are located. In some cases there might be an internal metal plate that would have to be removed, letting you see inside. If the controls on the lower part of the front panel you might have to take off the bottom plate of the receiver. When you are removing any of the screws and if one or two of the screws are longer than the others, note down where these different sized screws came from so you can replace them in the proper location. If you are able to spot the potentiometers, see if you can see the openings to the inside of the control. You are looking for a small opening that would allow you to place a small plastic straw that comes with the contact cleaner. If you can, find a good quality electronic aerosol contact cleaner that doesn't have a lubricant built in (I have used the QD Contact Cleaner, CRC 2-26 brand, found at most car parts supply stores, keep in mind this is very flammable). The cleaner will come with a small red plastic straw, one end goes into the nozzle of the cleaner and the other end goes into the opening in the sides of the potentiometers. Give a little spray and rotate the control and give another spray, a small amount is usually all that's necessary. Hopefully this will eliminate the noisy controls.
    Take care, Ken
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2003
    http://www.classic-audio.com/

Another GREAT source for vintage Marantz info, as well as a few other brands.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ken brydson
    edited August 2003
    Well, now I have something new for my "to do" list. I'll give it a try. Another problem with the receiver is one channel is gone. When I press the "mono" button, I get sound from both channels. Any thoughts on an easy fix for this?
    Sorry to take up your time with this. I know it wasn't the purpose of this thread to troubleshoot T.U. gear.
    I really appreciate the help
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2003
    Hello,
    Most of the time, gear of that era, have internal output protection fuses. When you're inside, find the wires that lead from the speaker output terminals and follow them to where they are attached to one of the circuit boards. Chances are this board will be in the rear area of the unit. Hopefully one of the output fuses has blown and will only need replacing. Make sure you use the same fuse rating as the original for the replacement.
    Regards, Ken
  • ken brydson
    edited August 2003
    I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out.
    Thanks again- KB
  • Jockos
    Jockos Posts: 310
    edited August 2003
    Thanks Ken for the trip down memory lane. I remember alot of those receivers when I was a kid. I actually owned one of the vintage sansui's with the wood case. We use to have a store here that had the complete line from many different manufaturers.

Cool
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2003
    Good, I'm glad it was interesting. Anyone check out the ostrich farm part of the site?
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited August 2003
    Yeah!.....Only in Czechoslovakia will you find a combo audio h-fi/Ostrich farm website! :p
    Nice picture of my original receiver purchase, the Pioneer SX-1050, 120wpc powerhouse!
    http://djsoucek.webpark.cz/a_pioneer_r_sx_1050.htm

I got it at the Army PX in Weisbaden , Germany in 1976 for around $370.... stateside was selling for around $799.

Since we're talking classic audio , here's the first system I put together while stationed in Germany (like anyone gives a ****!)
    Receiver - Pioneer SX-1050
    Speakers- Bose 901 Continentals w/ chrome stands
    Turntable - Dual 704 Direct Drive
    Tape Deck - Teac A-4600 reel to rell
    Cassette Deck - Fisher Studio Standard .... model # ???(compared to reel to reel sound back then!)
    Soundcraftsmen equalizer model # ?????

Total cost of around $2000.

I always kicked myself in the **** for not buying a Marantz receiver and either the ESS (Heil air motion) or the JBL 100's speakers. :(
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2003
    Hello,
    Everyone remembers what their first serious sound system was. I was in the Air Force, stationed in Okinawa, and bought a Luxman tube integrated amp, 35 WPC, a pair of Coral speakers, Garrard SL95 turntable and a Shure M75 cartridge. I think the first LP was Janis Joplin's "Big Brother and the Holding Company". I still have the record, I think I'll open a Beck's Dark and enjoy it, once again tonight.
    I remember the Pioneer SX1050 very well, an excellent sounding receiver, a real work horse!
    Ken
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited August 2003
    Cool link, I like to browse vintage stuff. Thanks Ken :)

Also like the link Russman provided, good stuff.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2003
    I took a look at the

JVC stuff and saw my first reciever, a JRX-300. That thing was a beast as far as weight goes, and the FM tunner was one of the best I've ever heard. I believe that JVC was one of the first major companies to use Quartz PLL (Phase Lock Loop) in their tuner sections. I was able to pull in distant FM stations with ease. My youngest brother still uses it, I gave it to him about 16-17 years ago!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2003
    Thanks Ken and Russ. Finally saw a pic of the first receiver I ever used(Kenwood).

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Ken,
    Nice link - good advice.

On "first systems" here's an old thread you might like to visit:
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7347
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2003
    Thanks for the link Tour. It's great reading everyone's first system, brings back allot of memories. Now that I think of it, there was actually a "system" (stretching the limits of that word) before the one I bought on Okinawa. When I was in tech school, in San Angelo, Texas (Goodfellow AFB), my buddy and I, went 50/50 on an RCA record player. Once a week, or so, we'd catch a bus into town and paid off the player, on installment. Then we'd take turns using the system. I'd lay on my bunk, with the speakers laying against the sides of my head with two pillows bunched on top. Sort of giant headphones! Eventually he bought my share of the player when he was reassigned to the base recreation park, handing out soccer balls, lucky guy.
    Ken