I'm ignorant sometimes...

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited August 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I just got a used lp yesterday which was supposed to be in NM+ condition. "Styx Paradise". It came with several other lp's. I noticed a sticky note on the cover which said "NM+, etched". As I'm wondering what that means I start to pull it out of the cover. Looks great. Before pulling the rest of the way out I turn it over and look at the other side. The label is gone and it looks like the lp has been sitting in paint thinner or something. My heart drops as I'm thinking of some bad feedback to leave. As I pull it out the rest of the way I see it says STYX across the top with a design the rest of the way around. Duh, by this time I figure out what "etched" means! Really cool looking!
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited August 2003
    Yep. I always thought that was pretty cool. I think that's the only LP I've got that's like that. I assume they do that with a laser??

Jason
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2003
    More importantly J, whats the project in the background? I see what appears to be a 5 1/4 inch driver on raw mdf....

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited August 2003
    Keen eye, Russman. You got the 5-1/4 right, but not the MDF.

That's one of those Definitive Tech buyout woofers that PE had. They were $6, and I bought several of them. I've a couple of DIY speaker projects in the works. The one I'll probably finish first is a TMM using two of those 5.25's and either a Peerless or a Vifa dome tweeter-- can't decide which one to use. I haven't had much time to work on it recently, as I just bought a house--- which I'm re-wiring in my spare time.

Jason
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited August 2003
    Chuck - LOL, I am wondering if I will have the same feeling when my amp shows up. I will plug it in, then some evil laughter happens, followed by thick black poisonous smoke. I can't leave bad feedback if I am dead, that would be smart on his part I guess :)

Chuck/Jcaut - That is one neat looking LP. I need to add a TT to the list of snacks. :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited August 2003
    Sorry but I guess I am still ignorant. What does NM+ mean?

Sincerely,
    Ignoramus
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2003
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by madmax

My teachers tell me that all the time...... :D
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • fireshoes
    edited August 2003
    It's not just your teachers, Trey. :)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by fireshoes
    It's not just your teachers, Trey. :)

haha.....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited August 2003
    Am I blind, or is Russ playing Tommy Lee Jones' character in 'The Hunted?' I can't see **** in that picture!

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • madmax
    edited August 2003
    Thanks for posting that pic! I was going to but my camera was at work. When I pulled it out I first saw the left side as you are holding it. I'm surprised it didn't add some noise but it doesn't.

Records are generally rated NM if they look perfect and have very little or no noise. I'm still trying to get this straight but I think int goes:
    very good: extra crappy
    vg+: crappy
    excellent: less crappy
    nm: good and quiet
    mint: unopened and perfect

Seems like you could pretty much look at the ratings and come up with two ratings of good or bad. It seems to me that a 1 to 10 scale would be better. Maybe I just don't really understand.

doro, which amp are you waiting on?
    madmax

• dorokusai
    edited August 2003
    They rate comic books the same way. I think they also do baseball/football cards to...I am unsure. NM/M is the only thing you ever really want as a collector. The rest is worthless, except for your own posterity.

Max - I picked up a Parasound HCA1500A(205wpc) for the SDA's. I am really excited. I won't be able to play them until I get wires, but at least I can look at them, and get aroused. :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2003
    That's a hell of an amp, i just seen one on e-bay.. exspensive too
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • fireshoes
    edited August 2003
    doro, make sure you give a nice long review of the amp for us. cmy330go and I can both get Parasound through dealer accommodations, but we don't carry it and have never heard it. It's either that or Adcom for amps, pretty much.
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2003
    Faster - Yea I am giddy with anticipation. I actually bought from the same guy, just from Audiogon. :)

I won't hijack your thread Pimp Daddy Max :)
  • madmax
    edited August 2003
    Radioshack has wire...

There is another one of those etched lp's on ebay if anyone were interested. This one says rough edge which might not be too bad. I purchased 15 lps from him so far and all seem to reflect the rating he has given them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43708&item=2553484556

madmax

• dorokusai
    edited August 2003
    Fireshoes - I most certainly will sir :)

Madmax - Email me, I want to chat with you about getting the group together for demo's. dorokusai@comcast.net

I figure I will host you guys first for some demo'n, mainly some SACD and a movie, good food, etc. I will shoot something to John later today.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2003

I could hear Troy saying this but I would feel the need to correct him,he's flat out stupid.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2003
    :o
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • fireshoes
    edited August 2003
    Grow up Dan. That has no place in this thread. If you can not attempt to get along with people on this board, do not come here.
  • madmax
    edited August 2003
    I think what dan meant to say was "I really wish troy would share his input on this thread because I really value his opinion".

madmax

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2003
    fireshoes,
    I didn't realize that I was talking to you..........butt and I do mean butt out.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2003
    Dan, if you want to bait me, do it in a thread that I participate in, eh? That way not TOO many good threads get derailed.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • fireshoes
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by mantis
    fireshoes,
    I didn't realize that I was talking to you..........butt and I do mean butt out.

No you weren't talking to me, but I was talking to you. You are on the Polk forums. It's public, but there are rules for posting here. You seem to feel they don't apply to you. Yes, you get egged on, but then you do the same too. I've never said anything bad about you before, but you are going so far out of your way to piss people off, I felt I had to say something. You have a lot of good knowledge to share and have helped a lot of people on this forum. Why do you have to constantly argue with others? If people consistently make you mad, all you have to do is use the Ignone User feature. All of the retaliatory posts are ridiculous.