Rti28 pPsw404 and Pioneer Elite Crossover HELP!!

Options
adclark
adclark Posts: 29
First of all, I just receiverd my new elite 43tx from Hooked on Tronics. Great place to do business. Quick service with e-mails every step of the way. Anyway, this audio enthusist hobby I'm in should be called leap frog. With my new Pioneer, I didn't realise how good my POLK Rti28's and 404 sub sounded. All i can say is WOW. Now, I probably won't know how good my new receiver sounds until I upgrade speakers again. Its a never ending path. But it's a fun path especially for music lovers. Anyway, the Pioneer has a crossover selection menue (50, 80, 100,150,200). With a sub phase tone, there is a dramatic drop with 50, 80 and some with 100. Now with 150 its pretty smooth. 200 VERY smooth but hangs around too long in the middle range (between the speaker and sub). 150 blends nicely. Does this sound like a good crossover point for the speakers I have? or is my sound preference odd. Just curious. Also, I pulled out hair trying to use the SPL for sub levels. I have better luck using the tone and adjusting by ear. I like a lot of bass. Also, SACD is great, but the record industry needs to back off not allowing digital direct input to the receiver. The analog inputs sound fine, signal is not as strong as digital coaxal.
Post edited by adclark on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Although your Rti28's are rated to go as lows as 49hz, they'll disappoint you if you keep your crossover point set to low. 100-150hz would be my choice.

Don't trust your ears when it comes to calibrating your system, trust the SPL meter! Have you tried the MCACC feature yet? I've read nothing but good reviews of this feature.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • adclark
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I've tried the SPL, I have hardly any bass if I use it.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2003
    Options
    How is your meter set up when you calibrate? (should be C weight & Slow)

Have you set the Bass Peak too low (via the OSD)?

Have you adjusted the phase of the Sub?

How/where's the sub positioned in the room?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited August 2003
    Options
    AD, you didn't fully describe your setup, but the most commonly suggested method would be a coaxial sub cable from the sub out on the 43TX to the LFE input on the 404. Since this bypasses the 404's crossover the crossover will be done by the 43TX , and 80hz is the suggested setting except for mains with very little output at 80hz, which doesn't include the RTi28s.

You say that you like a lot of bass, and it's your money, but the idea is that a sub shouldn't be set so loud that you hear it as a separate entity; the impression should be that it's the other speakers which are putting out more bass.

You mention SACD and a weaker signal with the analog inputs. You should be aware that the reason probably is the fact that you're not getting bass management when you play a SACD and that the bass is going to the speakers rather than being directed to the sub.
  • WENNERDAHL
    WENNERDAHL Posts: 6
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Get a copy of Stereophile Test CD #2. Parts Express.com this them for about $10.00. This disc includes 1/3 octave test tones, from around 20Hz to 20k Hz. This disc should really help you setup 2 channel system. If you can move your front speakers, try moving they away for back wall or close to it. This will help smooth out frequency response. Do this for the sub-woofer to. This disc will help you tweak your crossover point and sub level settings. My friend has your system, except he has the RTi38's. Nice choice on your sub. I was very impressed with it. Nice and punchy with good definition We found the best sound was using crossover in psw404.
  • adclark
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I find that the 404 crossover sounds better as well. On the 43tx there is no option to turn the crossover filter off. The 404 goes all the way up to 125. The 43tx goes all the way to 200 and as low as 50. I find, if I let the receiver do the filtering, that 150 sounds the most blended. If I set the 404 all the way up to 125, where should I se my receiver 100?
  • adclark
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Ok, I finally got the spl meter to give accurate readings (i used a tripod). I set the crossover to 100 and now everything sound really nice and bleneded. I went a slight heavy on the sub volume (not much).