Bose 901's...Again?

Options

Comments

• HHStuart
    HHStuart Posts: 263
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I remember back when they allowed you to listen to Bose Speakers along with other speakers. I listened to the Bose 901's with the POLK SDA 2's. There was no comparison. I bought the Polk SDA 2's.
    If I were you I would throw out the 901's and buy something else. Anything else.

Just my 2 cents.
    Front - Polk LSiM 705, Center - Polk LSiM 704c, Rear - Polk LSi 7
    Subwoofer - Epik Legend
    Receiver (as Preamp) - Sony STR-DA3400 ES
    Amplifier - Outlaw 7125
    Television - 58" Samsung Plasma PN58B860
    Blu Ray - OPPO BDP 83
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited August 2009
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I don't use the EQ with them nor hang them from the ceiling.

hehe...Good for you! But doesn't Bose 901 has Equalizer with it already? :D

If you still have a pair, you should try hanging it from ceiling towards your listening position. The driver alignment works better that way. It's been a long time but I think I've heard (may be 3-4 pairs) and the ones hanging from the ceiling has the best sound field I remembered from BOSE speakers. :eek:
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • dougy
    dougy Posts: 182
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Klipsch_Fan: "Exactly what kind of "sound quality are You going for?"

Good sound quality! Sorry, not trying to be a smarta$$, but essentially that's it. I guess the sound I'd be shooting for would be the sound I heard out of Bose 901's "back in the day", as they say. A huge soundfield in which the speakers disappear as sources. A big, dynamic, slammin' wall of sound; kind of like you might get at a good seat in a large auditorium. Sound that is not dependent upon the listener being in a relatively small sweet spot. Big bass and bright treble. Impressive sound! Not from the audiophile perspective, necessarily, but from a primitive sensory perspective, if that makes any sense. Audiophile sound is often refined and restrained. I'm looking for more slam, bam thank you mam, and to heck with detail and finesse...just for fun!
    THE MAN-CAVE 5.1 CHANNEL A/V RIG
    Sony KDS-60A3000
    a/d/s/ HT-400LCR (3)
    a/d/s/ HT-300 (2)
    Velodyne DLS-4000R (2)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi
    Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai
    Sony BDP-S300
    Sony SLV-779HF
    DirecTV HD sat. receiver

MAN-CAVE 2-CHANNEL RIG (shares sources with a/v system)
    Adcom GFA-5500
    Bose 901 Series VI
    NAD C-165BEE
    Slim Devices Squeezebox Classic
    TEAC CD-RW890
    Technics SL-BD20D w/ Audio-Technica P34
    Akai HX-A3X
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited August 2009
    Options
    dougy wrote: »
    Klipsch_Fan: "Exactly what kind of "sound quality are You going for?"

Good sound quality! Sorry, not trying to be a smarta$$, but essentially that's it. I guess the sound I'd be shooting for would be the sound I heard out of Bose 901's "back in the day", as they say. A huge soundfield in which the speakers disappear as sources. A big, dynamic, slammin' wall of sound; kind of like you might get at a good seat in a large auditorium. Sound that is not dependent upon the listener being in a relatively small sweet spot. Big bass and bright treble. Impressive sound! Not from the audiophile perspective, necessarily, but from a primitive sensory perspective, if that makes any sense. Audiophile sound is often refined and restrained. I'm looking for more slam, bam thank you mam, and to heck with detail and finesse...just for fun!

You're going to need a bigger boat....er.... make that BIGGER AMP !! I used to enjoy my seriesV when they had 250wpc feeding them but, if I'd known a good way to put a freestanding tweeter in the mix, I'da liked em even more.:)
  • Flash21
    Flash21 Posts: 316
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I sold audio back in the mid '80s and we carried Bose. We also carried Advent and Genesis among others, and they were far, far more speaker for the money.

The 901s were an interesting idea, but I generally preferred the detail of speakers with actual tweeters. The EQ just wasn't enough to compensate for that lack...

But what the hell, give 'em a try, should be fun no matter the outcome.
    Steve Carlson
    Von Schweikert VR-33 speakers
    Bel Canto eVo2i integrated amp
    Bel Canto PL-2 universal disc player
    Analysis Plus Oval Nine speaker cables and Copper Oval-In Micro interconnects
    VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables
    Polk Monitor 10B speakers, retired but not forgotten
  • RandyBox
    RandyBox Posts: 125
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I recall my first reaction to Bose AM5... It was "Wow all that sound from those little cubes?" They sounded awesome. In fact, I replaced a set of Altec Lansing 312 in favor of the AM5 back in the early 80's...

All my friends had the same reaction when they first experienced them. The one thing Bose had was the ability to provide decent sound while not dominating any room with their presence...

As far as the active EQ in the 901's, I see it being very similar to the active crossovers in any speaker system... Just controlling which frequency goes where...

I just replaced an AM7 system with my current Polk stuff (Monitor 70, 40, CS2, and PSW505)... The Bose doesn't suck THAT much, takes up WAY less space and not that far over priced... IMHO...

Regards,
    Randy
  • dee1949
    dee1949 Posts: 1,425
    edited August 2009
    Options
    ....Bose 901's are a different animal. You don't sit down and find a sweet spot. The 901's are a party - crowd speakers. Hung from the ceiling above the crowd they display a very realistic sound. They were used in tons of bars , small theaters and even in Peabody Institute of Music for concerts(faced backwards) in the eighties.. It's a speaker for an active setting. You need the equalizer in path....I take it that it serves as an active crosser to the 9 drivers??

I had a pair back in my party days. Loved those Ames looking floor stands. I still have a pair....need to bring them out for my IMF cm 3's.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2009
    Options
    dee1949 wrote: »
    You need the equalizer in path....I take it that it serves as an active crossover to the 9 drivers??
    The 901's are crossoverless,all 9 drivers operate over the same frequency range.As I alluded to in an earlier post, the purpose of the EQ is to boost the levels of bass and treble as the 4" drivers do not have sufficient output in the top and bottom octaves on their own.Therefore they need some help in the form of electronic EQ.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Actually hanging them from the ceiling is a worst case scenario for the 901. Bass is already quite heavy in the 901 (35-50Hz notably), they'll sound much better on the pedastals, IMO.

If you like them, go for it. Screw others opinions as it's the latest fashion to bash Bose. For rock/pop & most jazz, they do quite well. Having said all that, the 901 is the only Bose I would own.

The drawbacks are that you need a good sized room, ability to reflect the sound from a backwall, alot of amplifier(s), and sans the reflective wall, you'll want a well damped room to really appreciate the dynamic range they are capable of. If you ever get cone break-up, you don't have enough amp. The 901 will play cleanly at insane SPL's.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Systems
    edited August 2009
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    .. it's the latest fashion to bash Bose.
    Latest fashion?I think them and Monster have been the two favourite whipping boys for some time .
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Bose 901's have a very distinct sound, it's probably why they are either loved or hated--there's not much middle ground on opinions. Set up optimally, connected properly (a loop circuit or other fixed output; not between the pre and amp), and provided plenty of power (can't emphasis this enough) IME they can be very satisfying, and damn fun to listen to.

If you are a "purist" and seek total neutrality, or listen to alot of classical music---look elsewhere. If you like some flavor and emotion in your music, you might want to try a set.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Bose 901's have a very distinct sound, it's probably why they are either loved or hated--there's not much middle ground on opinions. Set up optimally, connected properly (a loop circuit or other fixed output; not between the pre and amp), and provided plenty of power (can't emphasis this enough) IME they can be very satisfying, and damn fun to listen to.

+1
    But as I stated earlier in this thread, you've got to set them up properly. If you haven't heard them, don't bash them because they're Bose....they've produced quality respectable audio back in the day that gave them the reputation they had for so long.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2009
    Options
    GV#27 wrote: »
    Latest fashion?I think them and Monster have been the two favourite whipping boys for some time .

I would probably jump on that bandwagon had I not owned a pair for so many years, and have to admit in all honesty, I really enjoyed them. I'm just calling it they way I heard it...
  • Phil Dawson
    Phil Dawson Posts: 288
    edited August 2009
    Options
    As we used to say in the days when these were around quite a lot - No highs, No lows, Must be Bose.
    Cheers, Phil
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I will buy a pair some day. As I stated a long time ago, well not that long ago, when I joined CP I grew up with a pair and they were awesome. We used a Bi-Amp graphic equalizer, a Rotel receiver and a Dual turn table. Life was good back in the day and it still is. The biggest problem I'll have to over come is speaker placement and without have the right room it won't be right so I am going to wait till then. At worst case seven years till Drew Jr. goes off to Clemson for four year of college and them off to Wharton.
    Thats right, they will go in his vacant bedroom. I'll probably move the Belles Amp to that system and buy a monster tube amp to go with the Anthem pre-amp for the Polks.
    In the mean time my SRSII's and SDA2a's are sounding awesome.

I understand some of the feelings towards Bose but I believe there is nothing wrong with a company turning great profits, I hope they are. And why not?
  • Flash21
    Flash21 Posts: 316
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Screw others opinions as it's the latest fashion to bash Bose.
    I wouldn't say latest...we bashed 'em pretty good back in the '80s when I was selling audio.
    Steve Carlson
    Von Schweikert VR-33 speakers
    Bel Canto eVo2i integrated amp
    Bel Canto PL-2 universal disc player
    Analysis Plus Oval Nine speaker cables and Copper Oval-In Micro interconnects
    VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables
    Polk Monitor 10B speakers, retired but not forgotten
  • megasat16
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Actually hanging them from the ceiling is a worst case scenario for the 901. Bass is already quite heavy in the 901 (35-50Hz notably), they'll sound much better on the pedastals, IMO.

My limited experience with 901 is somewhat different but I've heard it in a friend's place at a party and boy, they sings at loud volume and it was hanging from the ceiling. I also heard at least 2-3 times at other places but not impressed at those times.

I guess it has to do with Synergy and Room Size as you suggested. It seems it's important even for BOSE. :D
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • thuffman03
    thuffman03 Posts: 1,325
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I had a set of 901 series III's and they did not sound bad they did not sound good to me either.

I replaced them with a set of Thiel CS3.5's and never looked back.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t
  • Systems
    edited August 2009
    Options
    thuffman03 wrote: »
    I replaced them with a set of Thiel CS3.5's and never looked back.
    Not surprising the 3.5's are a fabulous design from the 80's.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • beemers417
    beemers417 Posts: 34
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I would say get them if you want them. One could argue all day about speakers and get nowhere. If the price is right how can anyone complain.
  • dougy
    dougy Posts: 182
    edited August 2009
    Options

If you are a "purist" and seek total neutrality, or listen to alot of classical music---look elsewhere. If you like some flavor and emotion in your music, you might want to try a set.

Yup, that's where I'm at...not lookin' for exceptional tonal accuracy or pinpoint imaging - I get enough of that with my Energy RC50's - just lookin' to have some fun with an "old school" set-up that can co-exist in the same room along side my HT rig.

I don't think 65W per will be so bad to start...I recall the Bose receiver from the 80's that had a built in 901 EQ...seems it put out about 40W per side. My buddy had that with a pair of IV's - actually my old pair that I sold him - and he could rock the house pretty good. Still, if I like the sound I get, I will be looking to upgrade the amplification...as usual!

One thing I've noticed looking at 901's on eBay is that many of the black vinyl models seem to have lifted vinyl. And I always wondered why Bose charges the same for vinyl as they do for walnut wood veneer on new 901's. Hmm...
    THE MAN-CAVE 5.1 CHANNEL A/V RIG
    Sony KDS-60A3000
    a/d/s/ HT-400LCR (3)
    a/d/s/ HT-300 (2)
    Velodyne DLS-4000R (2)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi
    Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai
    Sony BDP-S300
    Sony SLV-779HF
    DirecTV HD sat. receiver

MAN-CAVE 2-CHANNEL RIG (shares sources with a/v system)
    Adcom GFA-5500
    Bose 901 Series VI
    NAD C-165BEE
    Slim Devices Squeezebox Classic
    TEAC CD-RW890
    Technics SL-BD20D w/ Audio-Technica P34
    Akai HX-A3X
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited August 2009
    Options
    A long time ago I thought about a pair of 901's. At the time, I didn't have
    the space to set them up right. I went with a traditional monkey coffin.
    The sound wasn't bad, but they certainly weren't the last word in
    fidelity. 80-100 wpc should do the job nicely. That's what 95% of
    what was being used to drive them back in the late 70's.
    I'm sure we all have had "fun" speakers. It's kinda like high school,
    you can never go back. It's never the same.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Frylock
    Frylock Posts: 3
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Friends don't let friends listen to Bose.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Frylock wrote: »
    Why?
  • lightman1
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Frylock wrote: »
    Why?
  • kawizx9r
    edited August 2009
    Options
    This thread is still going on? Please read the first page of posts before repeating what's been said. For all the bose bashers, I'm not pro-bose by any means but I do have respect for their older technologys and the 901's fit in that category IMO. If you don't like them then so be it, it can be a love or hate thing but don't discredit a company simply because you don't like said product :cool:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• megasat16
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Why?
    Why?

Why and Why you need to ask Twice?

Once you let a friend listen to BOSE, he'll never look back at you again coz he is enjoying so much in the music? :D
  • lightman1
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Left click is a little more sensitive. Hair trigger if you will.:o
  • lightman1
    edited August 2009
    Options
    24 minutes apart???? WTF? A REALLY big hair!!!
  • kawizx9r
    edited August 2009
    Options
    24 minutes apart???? WTF? A REALLY big hair!!!

You need to get off that 28k modem :cool:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104