mains to subwoofer hookup

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
I've heard that I can hook up my mains...
RT800i through my PSW350 subwoofer. I this right. How would I do it. and will it sound better/different than hooking it up the normal way?
thanks
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited January 2002
    Options
    If your amp has a sub out or LFE out ... use this and run your mains as small .. You can run run them off the sub using your line level inputs... but I'd only do that if no sub/lfe channel. anyway... good luck
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    Options
    i use the LFE out to my sub, but have my 800i's set to large. try both small/large set-ups on your reciever, see which you prefer.

good luck...
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the info... I was curious if you're using the LFE connection... would you lose the sub with 2-channel music? Or is that up to the receiver? Just trying to get the whole flow straight... Thanks.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    Options
    i have mine run LFE and it still plays in stereo. if you try it and nothing is sent to your sub, reference your reciever's manual - it should tell you how to set-up stereo mode for it to play.
  • egk
    egk Posts: 13
    edited January 2002
    Options
    I too was a little confused about whick way to hook up the sub. my system is:

Mains RT800i
    Center CS400i
    Rears FX500i
    Sub PSW650
    REceiver Denon AVR3802

I hooked the sub up using option #1 in the Polk manual which states to run the mains from the receiver to the sub then to the mains. Setting the mains to large and sub to off. I couldn't get any real bass from this and with the 650 I expected to at least be able to rattle some windows. After some experimentation, I kept this setup and also ran the subout from the receiver to the LFE on the sub. Then on the receiver settings I set the mains to large, and the sub to "on" with the configuration "LFE+main".

Now, I can rattle the windows.

Ed