Monster Cable to RCA

Options
Grant
Grant Posts: 2
I've got a problem with wiring my powered sub to my receiver. Here's the situation:

I've got a Sony receiver with a line level output for a sub (no speaker level outs).

I've got a Velodyne sub with both line level & speaker level outputs.

I've got Monster cable run in the walls to the sub, but it's regular speaker cable (no RCA plugs).

Is there a way to convert this stranded speaker wire to RCA to work with the line level out on the receiver and the line level in on the sub? Are there any problems with this scenario? Should I just try to run a true RCA through the floor?
Post edited by Grant on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I guess it would be possible, just not advisable. I'd go with a sub cable and line ins & outs.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2003
    Options
    If you have a dedicated wire run to the sub, doesn't matter if it's speaker cable, just terminate it on each end with RCA's.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Grant, unless we haven't followed what you're asking about, all receivers have speaker level outputs which can feed the signal to the speaker level inputs on a powered sub. If you're willing to use the speaker level connection you simply connect the wire(assuming that you're speaking of two speaker wires) to the regular left and right main output terminals on the receiver. If you want to use the line level connection(generally preferred)you should use a shielded coaxial cable for the connection. Regular speaker wire isn't shielded and the low line level signal would be susceptible to interference even if you could make the connection.
  • Grant
    Grant Posts: 2
    edited August 2003
    Options
    What I was most concerned about was the resistance of the Monster cable speaker wire. I'm afraid that it's too high for the 1 or 2 milli-volts coming from the receivers line level and frying out the receiver and/or sub. I think I've figured out a solution. Thanks for you replies.
  • Eastern
    Eastern Posts: 43
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Grant, you are more likely to fry the amp's circuit from lower impedance than higher impedance.