speaker wire advice needed

Options
styles
styles Posts: 22
Hi,

I have FXi50 surrounds that require 50 ft - right/60 ft - left to hook up. CC sells the Monster Cable MC for $1.60 per feet (110 ft. * $1.60 = $176 w/o tax) and the XP for $0.60 per feet (110 ft. * $0.60 = $66 w/o tax).

Do I really need the MC for the rear surrounds or will the XP be fine? Is there a good alternative brand? I've seen Signal Cable come up in the search I did.

Sorry if this is a bit noobish.

Thanks!
Harmon / Kardon AVR 510

Fronts: RT2000I
Center: CSi40
Surrounds: FXi50 *waiting in box
Sub: PSW650

JVC DVD Player
Monster Cables
Post edited by styles on

Comments

• AJ Audio
    AJ Audio Posts: 7
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I personally think that monstercable is the best but overpriced try something like radioshack or maybe radioshack megacable plus keep in mind that they are only surrounds so they won't be pumping out alot of loud sound.
  • styles
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the reply AJ Audio.

I'm mainly trying to figure out if I need the more expensive $1.60 cable or if the cheaper $0.60 XP will do for the 50-60ft. it has to cover.

Anyone else?? :confused:
    Harmon / Kardon AVR 510

JVC DVD Player
    Monster Cables
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2003
    Options
    XP will work fine for the surrounds, no need for super high end for surrounds, Good wire is needed but not that good.. My opinion of course, i use the super flat stuff made by RCA but monster has the same stuff .. might be the same.. super fine strand, and paintable to blend in as i did.. hope this helps
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Styles, the relevant factors are the length of the run and the impedance of the speakers, as shown in this excellent explanation of the topic by a professional. There's no need to pay monster cable prices. For your needs pick up any 14ga or possibly 12ga wire at the best price you can get from places such as Home Depot, Lowe's or RadioShack.
  • styles
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
    Harmon / Kardon AVR 510

JVC DVD Player
    Monster Cables
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I will disagree. The better the wire, the better the sound. However, I believe there is better wire than Monster out there for less money.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Like before, the link provided is an individual response to the speaker wire issue. There are as many supporting arguments FOR better wire also....its all relative and can only be judged by the individual. I think the link is a good one for information, no question. The statements about gauge vs length is a sensible approach, but its generic.

It is a flavor of the month link.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    It is a flavor of the month link.

I disagree. Someone may not agree that wire is wire, and you may think that guy's opinion is merely opinion, but the science behind it is hardly new or fleeting.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Burdette - I think the articles are valid arguments. I think its great that the link exists. It is still opinion, whether its supported by some actual hard data or not.

It just gets to be rhetoric when we go thru the same talks about wire. All of a sudden the another new magical link shows up for explanation of an issue that has been retread so many times its ridiculous.

Whatever, it makes no difference to me what wire is bought or what wire is used. Every test and theory has an anti-test and theory. Its a waste of time to even get into this again.

XP is fine, buy it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.