SVS PB2-ISD

Options
kberg
kberg Posts: 974
Just saw this on the SVS site:

SVS PB2-ISD

Built mostly for musicheads, but I'm sure it does a fine job on HT too.
Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
Display: JVC HD-56G786
DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
Post edited by kberg on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Kev:

Tom Vodhanel says the PB2-ISD will outperform a single 20-39PC+ above 20 Hz. It won't troll quite as deep in the stock tune, though.

Just food for thought at a $75 premium over the PC+. And shipping will be $50 during the introductory period and will go up to $100 thereafter. With the temporary shipping discount, the actual difference in price between the two is pretty darn small and it's a lot of sub for the money.

I still like the cylinder design for being the purest form follows function, and in your room it should be plenty of power. Just wanted to make sure you weighed all options before pulling the trigger.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • kberg
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Good news, Doc. I already pulled the trigger! Ordered the 20-39 PC+ and it's on its way right now. Thanks for the above info, however. Anyway, I quickly discovered that the PB2-ISD has too big of a footprint for where I need it to go (one of two places). But I thought you would be glad to hear that I finally took the SVS plunge. I'll let you (and others) know of my first impressions, and will of course ask a number of tweak-related questions as a result. If the sub performs as well as SVS' customer service has, I'm in for a REAL treat - SVS' customer service is SECOND TO NONE!

Btw, I want to thank everybody for posting incredibly valuable information on SVS and other subs that has helped me make my decision a LOT easier.

KB
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Doc what makes the PB2-ISD any more "musical" than the other SVS subs? (besides the two drivers equalling lower distortion)

is this just a marketing thing or is there something that ACTUALLY makes it more musical? I was just wondering since they seem to be stressing the musicallity of this sub...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Get ready for stunningly clean, ultra deep, powerful, and accurate bass.

Resist the urge (I know, it's hard) to smother the rest of your system with the new sub. Run it just a "tad" hot (maybe 3-4 dB) for HT, and flat for music and it will reward you by adding dimensions to movies and music you never knew even existed.

Over time, the shine of new gear often wears off, but not with SVS. After living with SVS for two years, I can honestly say the honeymoon starts all over each time the amp light turns from red to green. Listening to these subs just never gets old - they are that good.

Doc

SVS
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2003
    Options
    By flat on music, you mean?? I run this at about 78 -79 db for HT, so what should it be for music? same as the rest 75db?
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by tryrrthg
    Doc what makes the PB2-ISD any more "musical" than the other SVS subs? (besides the two drivers equalling lower distortion)

is this just a marketing thing or is there something that ACTUALLY makes it more musical? I was just wondering since they seem to be stressing the musicallity of this sub...

Pure marketing. Tom Vodhanel has already stated the PB2-ISD and the PB2-Plus will sound nearly identical up to the clean limits of the PB2-ISD. Yes, they will measure slightly differently upon instrumented testing, and the Plus driver has lower THD than the ISD, but it won't be audible, according to TV.

SVS is trying to avoid the reputation as being a "HT sub". SV subs are first and foremost accurate. They don't add or detract anything from the source signal.

The reason they have developed a strong following in the HT community is because HT source material will more quickly expose major weaknesses in a subwoofer (in terms of extension, flat FR, THD, and dynamic output capability) than will most music material.

I have found my SVS to be exceptionally coherent and neutral on music. It has excellent attack on transients with no overhang. It is never boomy or muddy even with complex passages. Just clean, pure bass - very easy on the ears and very natural sounding. Blends so well with the mains you'd swear you were listening to true full range 20-20k towers.

It has monstrous ability on HT and that will impress anyone right off the bat. But give yourself a few hours in a dark room with this sub on demanding music and it will impress and please the most discriminating audiophile (assuming proper placement, calibration, and decent room acoustics).

Doc

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    By flat on music, you mean?? I run this at about 78 -79 db for HT, so what should it be for music? same as the rest 75db?

Yes, if you are using 75 dB as your calibration level for all the surround channels.

Remember, the RS meter will read about 2-3 dB LOW on the sub rumble tone. So 78-79 dB is really about 6 dB HOT for HT.

If you go 75 dB on the sub rumble tone for music, the sub will actually be running about 2-3 dB hot and should sound more natural and blend better.

There are a few ways to run the sub cooler for music. Your Integra should have the ability to adjust the subwoofer level for different inputs, even if you are using the same player and the same input cable.

My 3803 has a DD/DTS, Stereo, Direct, Pure Direct, Neo 6, and 5/7 channel input selection - all from the same input jack. I can alter the speaker level settings in each mode. So if I use my DVD player for 2 channel stereo with the digital coax, l can lower the sub level in the "stereo" mode without altering it in the DD/DTS mode.

Doc

SVS
  • tryrrthg
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks Doc. that's kind of what I figured.

I'm drooling at the mouth over that PB2+ audition that I had a few weeks ago. I finally got my pre amp and if I had my new amp I'd be all over that thing but my amp has to come first...

Do you know if they'll be raising the price of the PB2+? if so by how much?
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • faster100
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I'll check that out right now, I too have similiar settings and have noticed it hold speaker level settings after i changed them at the receiver, not meaning to initially.. that is what i'll do now though.. Thanks again
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by tryrrthg Do you know if they'll be raising the price of the PB2+? if so by how much?

Price already went up on shipping about a week ago - that's where they were holding the line during the introductory period - it's now $99 instead of $50. The sub price hasn't changed - still $1,199.

Doc

SVS
  • tryrrthg
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    Price already went up on shipping about a week ago - that's where they were holding the line during the introductory period - it's now $99 instead of $50. The sub price hasn't changed - still $1,199.

Doc
    Yeah, I saw that. I live in Ohio so maybe they'll let me just drive up to Youngstown (I've been told that's where they're made, that true?) and pick it up myself. nice little road trip... :D

so no price increases on the sub itself, that you know of?

Thanks again!
  • faster100
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Nope no dice ED, I called Integra.. no specific settings will hold far as speaker levels per source, they all stay the same as when calibrated.. although of course i can lower the sub on the fly via the channel button, once i run the test and meter it to see where it needs to be, Ie: -6 or -7 or what ever.. For HT i have it set to -5 at 78-79db.. Thanks again
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by tryrrthg
    Yeah, I saw that. I live in Ohio so maybe they'll let me just drive up to Youngstown (I've been told that's where they're made, that true?) and pick it up myself. nice little road trip... :D

so no price increases on the sub itself, that you know of?

Thanks again!

You cannot pick up the subs from Youngstown (you are correct, that is the facility). The insurance company disallows it. Ron Stimpson posted to this effect over at AVS or HTF a few months ago. Many locals want to pick them up; heck, I'm only 5 hours away myself.

Other than the shipping increase, SVS is known for holding the line on sub prices. I wouldn't worry about that.

Doc

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    Nope no dice ED, I called Integra.. no specific settings will hold far as speaker levels per source, they all stay the same as when calibrated.. although of course i can lower the sub on the fly via the channel button, once i run the test and meter it to see where it needs to be, Ie: -6 or -7 or what ever.. For HT i have it set to -5 at 78-79db.. Thanks again

Your only other alternative is to get a DVD player with external analog outputs and run them into the Integra for music (CD, SACD, DVD-A, DTS-Audio, etc.). That's what I do with my DVD-2900. The 2900 not only has an excellent BM circuit, it also has test tones and adjustable channel levels for all six speakers so you can drop the sub level to whatever you want.

I run my PB2+ about flat (75 dB for all six channels) for music through the 2900 external outputs. Naturally, this doesn't affect the internal sub settings in the AVR 3803 at all for HT DD/DTS.

Doc

SVS
  • faster100
    edited August 2003
    Options
    That is one high dollar unit, I was thinking about the Pioneer elite 45a dvd/sacd/dvda player... Looks nice and the specs arent to bad either
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Well, that's an expensive fix just to drop the sub level for music. Clearly, it is a piece of cake with the Integra to drop the sub level from -5 to -8 (or w/e) in a matter of seconds when you play music via the digital coax. I would do that for now, since you are short on bling bling after the PB1-ISD purchase.

Doc

SVS
  • faster100
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Yeah its real easy to do on the Integra,

hey i won some cables today, a Monster 300 sub cable and a Monster digital coax 100 interlink, i think the same one you have? and i sold my others to a guy on the board, shipping them tomorrow.. so i'll be useing a make shift sub cable till my monster 300 gets here..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • kberg
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Over time, the shine of new gear often wears off, but not with SVS. After living with SVS for two years, I can honestly say the honeymoon starts all over each time the amp light turns from red to green. Listening to these subs just never gets old - they are that good.

Doc

Sounds to me like every time you pop in a new DVD or CD, you get "suprised" all over again - that's great to hear (pun intended).
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2003
    Options
    actuley a good sub can sound week at first then you just need to get the right demo materal. a good sub wont gice you that n the face of a cheaper sub. but will be well worth it. it took me a while to get my stryke setup just right. befor i got my new amp i ran my sub 1-2db hot it would overpower the rest of the system byt then i got the adcom and it brang the rest up to snuff ith the sub.
  • tryrrthg
    edited August 2003
    Options
    You cannot pick up the subs from Youngstown (you are correct, that is the facility). The insurance company disallows it. Ron Stimpson posted to this effect over at AVS or HTF a few months ago. Many locals want to pick them up; heck, I'm only 5 hours away myself.

Damn I figured you'd say something like that! oh well what's another 100 bucks to get a kick **** sub and bass heaven?
    Other than the shipping increase, SVS is known for holding the line on sub prices. I wouldn't worry about that.

Now THAT'S what I like to hear! I now have the only present I want for Christmas! :D