To dipole or not to dipole...that is the question

Options
gellor
gellor Posts: 11
Hello all,

I am getting a receiver that supports 6.1. I just got the Polk LSi9s and I am now going to start setting up my home theater. My question is this, do you think it is worth it to get a set uf the Polk dipoles (LSifx) vs just getting another set of the LSi9s?

I'm not really sure if I will ever get the 2nd center speaker for the rear setup. If I do get it, would it have been a mistake to get the dipoles. If I don't get it, will I regret just having the LSi9s for rears vs the dipoles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Post edited by gellor on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2003
    Options
    It's all a matter of taste, what you think sounds good.. The 9's would make awful large rear surrounds, i would recommend either lsi 7's for rears or the dipole lsifx. you can use a lsi C for rear center later if you choose for 6.1, what do you have for mains? The 9's? if so i would consider the lsi Fx if you plan to use it for HT most of the time...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited August 2003
    Options
    If you think you'll be investing in something like multi-channel music (ie. SACD, or DVD-Audio) you might consider going with some LSi9's. Those LSi7's look nice too. Good luck.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I enojoy listening to music with my fx/1000's in bipole mode with my two fronts (no center). Really fills the room with sound without losing localization.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited August 2003
    Options
    agreed with what has been said so far, Fx shines really well on HT, 9 shines with SACD 5.1 Having said that, I do have the Fx on surrounds, along with LSi7 on surroundback.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Fastmerc
    Fastmerc Posts: 99
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I would personally probably shoot for the 9s...maybe a little over kill now...but I think as the industry develops both movies and music you will find just as much information coming from the rear channels as the front. The days of the surrounds not really having to perform as well as the mains are probably numbered...otherwise most of the manufacturers would not be increasing rear amp power to equal that of the mains channels...at least that seems logical to me. I could be wrong..;)
    Of course you could go with dipoles now...and when they do start moving that way then get some 9s and move the dipoles to side surround/front fx duty.
    Mains: RT20Ps
    Center: CS350LS
    R. Surround: RT16s
    R. Center: CS350LS
    F. Effects: LS/FX
    Sub: Titanic 15
    Reciever: Yamaha RX-Z1
    TV: 55 LED LCD
    Interconnects:AR, RSF, MC
    Speaker Cable:MC
  • gellor
    gellor Posts: 11
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I really won't be listening to a lot of music in that room, it will be mainly for HT. I think with what has been said here, I will probably go with the LSiFX.

Once again thanks for the replies, it really helped me pinpoint what I needed.