Yamaha M-80 vs. Adcom GFA 555 mkII

Options
Polkie2009
Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
edited July 2009 in Electronics
Noticed a few of the Yamaha M-80's up for sale on fleabay and wondered how they compare with the 2 channel amps of comparable wattage like the Adcom,Carver,Rotel, Sunfire,Parasound etc..
Post edited by Polkie2009 on

Comments

• McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I had a Yamaha M-85 and it was a beast. I really liked it and think it will do quite well for you. I do now have an adcom (although not a GFA 555) and it is nice as well.

My auditory memory does not span back well enough to compare both amps - but I was certainly not dissapointed with my yamaha (and it ran my SDA's just fine) nor am I upset with my adcom (my adcom currently runs a pair of Monitor 10's).

Based on that - if you got either, I do not think you would be dissapointed.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Polkie2009
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Hi McLoki,thanks for the info,looks like the M-80 on fleabay is up over $400.00 and the auction isn't even over with.
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    Hi McLoki,thanks for the info,looks like the M-80 on fleabay is up over $400.00 and the auction isn't even over with.

You can get a 555II for about $350 all day.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I would go with the Adcom. The older Yamaha amps can be really frustrating to get fixed, and IMHO aren't built as well as the Adcom amps.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I love yamaha amps. I tried to get a m-65 today. I have run a m-45 for years and the class a operation is very smooth. I also run m-35s and a mx-1000u.

The adcom is a much better deal, however in price/performance. I will be buying a 555 as soon as i source the funds!
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • lakesailor
    lakesailor Posts: 319
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I like both and they each have different pros/cons. I have awlays been a fan of Yamaha but the GFA 555 Mark II is a real classic and in my view; is one of the best all time amps for the $$$ that you will find. Used they are an absolute bargain and as has been mentioned can be easily repaired.
  • Polkie2009
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I guess I'll pass on the used Yamaha M-80 amp search.Back in their day,I'm sure the M80's held their own against the other big boys amps out there. Looks like in the long run when buying used amps, I'm better off buying an amp that is easier to fix and parts are cheaper and plentiful.
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Yup. I still buy yamaha amps, they're awesome. I've had a m-35 crap out on me and now i have to find someone to service it.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • Polkie2009
    edited July 2009
    Options
    There's a used M-80 on fleabay that was repaired at Pyramid Audio in Austin Tx.Have heard there aren't many shops anymore that repair these older Yamahas but I could be wrong.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Used to sell these two models side by side. Did a nice comparo one day whne it was slow in the showroom used an Adcom 535 (baby Adcom) and a pair of very power hungry A/D/S floor standers as well as a pair of the original Mirage M1's.

The Yammy puked it's 300wpc guts up before the Adcom gave in at 60wpc. I've never been a huge fan of Yammy amps. Way too sterile and benign sounding for me. The "Natural Sound" was always BS, IMO. Yamaha amps of that era make nice boat anchors however.

YMMV

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    I guess I'll pass on the used Yamaha M-80 amp search.Back in their day,I'm sure the M80's held their own against the other big boys amps out there. Looks like in the long run when buying used amps, I'm better off buying an amp that is easier to fix and parts are cheaper and plentiful.

And that sound a lot better. Yamaha is one choice above Kenwood Basic amps of the same era for me.............and that's not saying much.

Of that era,

Nakamichi, Adcom, Luxman in that order.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Polkie2009
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Great info on the comparison between the amps heiney9! I remember when that Nakamichi equipment was kicking ****. Did the old HK Citation amps even come close to the top 3 you mentioned?