Subs for a Beetle

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
what subs and amp would be good for VW beetle? I was looking for a system of about 700 watts. Already have a sony CDX-630 head unit with sub pre-outs. I want the subs to have clean bass and sound great. Any ideas for what to get?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• phongnguyent
    phongnguyent Posts: 34
    edited August 2003
    image dynamics idq 12?

that is what powered suggest i should do.... 700peak i believe

check at sounddomain.. if ya interestered...
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited August 2003
    you can get the rockford fosgate power hx2 10"
    its rated at 1000 watts
    $400 on crutchfield
    rockford fosgate power 851S
    $599 on crutchfield
    that will shake the doors off that car
    what kind of budget are we working with here though?
    im guessing space is a serious issue
    so one 10" rated at 700watts rms would be your best bet i would think
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    if you're not stressing dollar signs, i'll go ahead and agree with cody on this one... i think that'll shake the doors off your beetle. port the RF sub -- they dont sound too great sealed, but in an "open-ish" car like a beetle, the ground pounding-ness of a power HX2 ported would be a nice thing...

goin a little cheaper -- alpine type R 12" off say 700 rms would be peachy.

i'm assuming this is somehow cabin mounted.... if you can somehow get an idq 10" in that back deck and slap like 300 - 400 watts on it, boom shakka lakka. :)

the new momo 10's may be quite the surprise happy soundin subs as well -- as i said before they look (spec wise) pretty close to the DX's and i'd be happy with a 10" dx off 300 - 400 watts in the back deck fo a smaller car.

if u're relegated to the trunk - then the hx2 or go with two subs...

two type R 10's off like a 1200 watt amp would be great... two 12's off a 1500w even better. i'm partial to mtx amps ... hifonics ... kenwood... USamps... cadance... i'd run naked in the streets wearing a "will [ random horrible thing ] for tru technology!"

two of the new momo 12's or 10's off like 600 - 800 watts ?? (i've yet to actually hear the speaker so i duno, but me thinx it should do ya good).

a single momo 10 or 12 might not be, i dunno the word, but "filling enough" for you depending on where you place the darn thing -- in the trunk i really dont think it'll do the job -- in the back deck -- ya -- but not in the trunk. if u're doin trunk anyway - two momo 10's or 12's with 1000 - 1300 watts would be a good setup as well.

give us more of an idea of exactly what you're after and what sound you're looking for and where you're going to mount the sub and the answers you get will be more specific and nailed down. :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited August 2003
    Is it a 60's/70s beetle or one of the new ones?
    "The Big C"
  • Systems
    edited August 2003
    the new bug
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2003
    the Image Dynamics ID MAX 10 v.3 D4

or the Image Dynamics ID10 v.3

and in 4 or two ohm
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    the impedance (ohms) of the sub wont matter until you decide which amp you want to run with it -- if u're not sweating money, pick the sub, then pick the amp to mate with it.

the IDmax is a huge mo-fo sub - requiring roughly 1200 watts of amplification.

the ID series is the low line, like 150 watts rms (yuck).

the IDQ series is the middle line which is about on par (loudness wise, power requirement wise) with the polk momo / JBL GT / polk DX / yada yada yada... sounds better, but requires about the same power.

anywho - as i said, depending on where you mount the thing and what you're loooking for, you'd choose a difft sub.

if you want to shake the earth - get a 'Max or two.

if you wnat great SQ, get an IDQ in the back deck. or one of the new polk mini-Momo's in the back deck -- two of the mini-Momo 8" subs in the back deck with like 250 w rms to each would probably pound and be quite smooth at the same time. Hel you can do that and a set of 12" regular Momo's in the trunk just to add some RUMBLE to it at the same time.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge