Interconnect Advice Needed.

cmy330go
cmy330go Posts: 2,341
edited August 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I need a recomendation on some interconnects for my turntable.

I am going to be connecting my music hall mmf-7 to my yamaha rx-v2300. I am going to need a 1 meter cable to go from my table to the phonostage, and then a 2 meter to go from there to my receiver.

This is only going to be a temporary setup until I get into a new house. At which point I will be dealing with much shorter lengths. So needless to say I don't want to break the bank on these cables. I would prefer to keep at or under $100 (us).

I have tried a few different models of Monster Cable and have not been pleased with the results. For some reason they seem to blur the soundstage.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
HT
Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
Post edited by cmy330go on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2003
    Will you be using those interconnects on the permanent set-up? If you're not going to, IMO, you should go for the Radio Shack cables Sean suggested. Another alternative to Monster would be Ultralink.

Maurice
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited August 2003
    cmy330go,

I have tried and own the following interconnects in increasing order of detail / clearness / and improved imaging:

Entry monster cable / Acoustic Research / Radio Shack Fusion / Aurelle Dynamics / Signal Cable Analog two / Kimber Kable Hero / Transparent Music link. With your Yamaha I would recommend the Transparent Music Link if you can bag one off of Audiogon for $75 - $100. It will help tame some brightness and give you a lot of detail (detail without bright sounds strange but true). More like help improve any graininess. If you like your sound on the bright side with an accented treble then you might want to look into the Kimber Hero.

I have read reviews from some members about MIT also as they have a similar technology to Transparent. You might want to look into these as well if you can get a 30 day return on them like from Audio Advisor.

Paul
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2003
    All good suggestions, if you are talking about $100 Total for 2 pairs, 1 1m, 1 2m, I suggest you look at the Signal Cable Analog 1 or 2 (starts @36/pair), The Kimber Tonic ($50/pair), Mit Terminator 5 (closeout $25/pair), Audioquest Copperhead ($52/pair), and Straight Wire Symphony II ($45/pair).

www.signalcable.com

The rest can be found at www.audioadvisor.com

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited August 2003
    Thanks for the advise everyone.

I noticed organ mentioned "ultralink"

What is everyone's opinion on ultralink cables? I have noticed that it is fairly common to see them listed as the interconnects used in stereophile magazine's reviews.

Any opinions out there???
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited August 2003
    I'd like to throw 'Clarity Labs' IC's into the mix. I use one in my two channel setup and find it fast, tight and detailed. Nice cable.

Signal Cables are next up.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited August 2003
    I have ran Audioquest/AR/IXOS/MC/MIT/Transparent/Cheap/Real Cheap.

I am a Signal Cable fan, and their products have never left me short. I have auditioned(Own) the Analog 1/2 Signal Cable, but would still pick the MIT 330i Series 2, as my favorite IC. ALL my video IC's are Signal Cable. ALL my HT speaker cable is Signal Cable Dbl Run...90+ft. No complaints with performance or quality, ever. The value/performance of the Signal brand, is outstanding.

www.audioadvisor.com , is offering AQ Mammoth/ Granite at crazy prices, so they become a very strong candidate

My sig shows my cables, and I do not plan on changing them. The performance has been as expected in few, and much improved in the rest.

Signal Cable and MIT are my favorites, but that is somewhat biased. I have not experienced all cables out there.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.