Newbie-Am I going to regret the Mains?

Options
DMan
DMan Posts: 5
edited August 2003 in Speakers
I'm in the process of upgrading my HTIB. I decided to go the Polk route and bought a csi40 center and a pair of rti100's for the mains, rc60i in ceiling speakers for the surrounds (WAF). I'm planning on purchasing an SVS sub when my pocketbook recovers, in the meantime I'm using my HTIB sub.

Money withstanding, Should I have bought the rti70's as mains instead since I am planning on using a quality sub?

I would like opinions on weather I should replace the rti100's with the 70's.

Again I'm a newbie, and these speakers sound great, but as my ear becomes more sophisticated I don't want to regret not getting the correct fronts. 70% Movies/30% Music
Front: rti70
Center: csi40
surround: rc60i
sub: waiting$
Post edited by DMan on

Comments

• Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Put me in the 'return RTi100 and replace with RTi70' camp. Next suggestion? Save your cash and decide on the best SVS sub you can afford ... then say eff it, and get the one you can't afford. Good luck.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    D - Welcome to the forum :)

I am in the club with LC, the RTi70 is a GREAT speaker. IMO the RTi100, if your getting a subwoofer, just doesn't make sense. No offense, thats just me. You made another great choice with the CSi40. WAF certainly rules sometimes, good compromise on the RC65i's. I think you actually won in that battle tho'.....hmmmm ;)

You won't regret returning the 100's.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I'd go with the RTi70's as well.
  • Loud & Clear
    edited August 2003
    Options
    To piggyback on what dorokusai said, and it's something that I had intended to say but forgot to, you made a great pick-up in the CSi40. I bought one for my mammie, and it's a dynamite center.

The CSi40, RTi70s, and any SVS sub would make for an absolutely precious home theater experience ... and make me jealous as hell in the process. Again, good luck.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• Eastern
    Eastern Posts: 43
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I'm with the "Go with the RTi70s " boys. I have a CSi30 but wishes I had the dough then for CSi40. CSi40 is twice the price for a reason.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Well i have the Rti70's and csi40 center and i love them, I will soon as of next week have a Pb1-isd SVS sub and know i will love that also, return the 100's and get the 70's.. and don't look back..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited August 2003
    Options
    In case you're wondering why everyone is saying "ditch the 100s", go listen to them side by side. Huge difference.

Take the 100s back, go to Fry's and pick up the 70s for $500. Now you have $200-300 towards your SVS sub (depending on what you paid for the 100s).
  • DMan
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I guess the jurys out. When I listened to the 70's and 100's in the store, they both sounded comparable to me, but I thought I was getting a better speaker with the 100's until I did some research on line. Better late than never. The Speakers sounded much better in my house than the listening room, so discerning between the different speakers was difficult for me.

Thanks for your advice
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Get the speaker with TWO midranges. Much better sound.
    You've got a sub already. The RT70 kicks the RT100's ****.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2003
    Options
    ok.. i use both of the older verision of these speakers in my HT. Here is my take on them. the 70's do sound better in the mids... two mid drivers... plus they sound louder than the 100's. Bass is about the same believe it or not. The 70's are pretty decent on lows.

The only reason to keep the 100's would be so even out the front to rear bass once you get your SVS. Plus you can always turn "off" the subs in the 100's if you want. it give you options this way.

But between the 70's and 100's. I lean with the other people towards the 70's. Not to say the 100 is a bad speaker by any means... it's a good one.. it just sounds "different".
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • DMan
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I returned the 100's and picked up a pair of 70's today. I had the opportunity to listen to both of them side to side on a demo cd and did like the 70's better. They were louder and like Danger said, they did have surprisingly great bass. The Demo was Rap style (not my kind of music) but it demonstrated the low end real well. I thought a subwoofer was playing also.

Next on my list: Subwoofer, Receiver, Rear Center.
    Looks like I got hooked on an expensive hobby.

I returned the favor while shopping today. I steered a lady from Bose to either polk or infinity. She was looking at Bose because 'They had great quality'. We played comparible priced speakers between the Bose, Infinity, and Polk. Guess which one finished last.

Thanks for all the advice.
  • Loud & Clear
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Good job, DMan. Let us know what happens with the SVS and your other upgrades. You're well on your way to an outstanding setup.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited August 2003
    Options
    You should have waited. The RTi12's are about to surface in October. These might be the speakers I upgrade my M10's Series 2 with. Maybe.

Purchase a Velodyne SPL or HGS series sub and be done with the bass.

Dan
  • Loud & Clear
    edited August 2003
    Options
    You should have waited. The RTi12's are about to surface in October. These might be the speakers I upgrade my M10's Series 2 with. Maybe.

~~ He's already got a CSi40 and, unless he's planning on upgrading that to the new line, he presumably wants the front soundstage seamless.
    Purchase a Velodyne SPL or HGS series sub and be done with the bass.

~~ Dude, Doc's going to kick your ****. ****, better you than me though.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited August 2003
    Options
    ~~ He's already got a CSi40 and, unless he's planning on upgrading that to the new line, he presumably wants the front soundstage seamless.

So what about the center. No such thing as "seamless"
    Funnel the center dialog through the front's, no problem.
    "~~ Dude, Doc's going to kick your ****. ****, better you than me though.

Yeah right..

Dan
  • acdds
    acdds Posts: 253
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Is the Rti70 really a better choice than the 100's? I have the 100's, Csi40, Rti38(side surround), Rti28(rear surround) and a sony sub. I am planning to buy a SVS around Christmas time. I have a Denon 2803. I can still return the 100's and I saw a pair of 70's for $270/ each at CC. What is everyone's opinion on this set-up? Will the 2803 have enough juice to run both midrange drivers? I would like all the speakers to match so I want to get this system finished before Polk changes their llines. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • danger boy
    edited August 2003
    Options
    acdds,

Yeah your 2803 will have enough power for either set of speakers.

Like I said in my earlier post.. the 100's are not a bad speaker by any means.. they just have a different sound quality to them.. some, me included just prefer the sound of the 70's over the 100's. but to each his own. the CSi40 should work equally well with either of those as fronts.

If you have any doubts.. go with the 70's. and you won't be disappointed in the sweet mid sounds.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2003
    Options
    The RTi70 is a 2-way speaker with two 6.5" mid-range drivers.

The RTi100 is essentially also a 2-way speaker with only one 6.5" mid-range driver - albeit high passed at 90 Hz to a really marginal powered subwoofer.

Due to its dual mid-range drivers, above 90 Hz the RTi70 walks away from the RTi100 in terms of midrange clarity and room filling ability.

Yes, the RTi100 has marginally better deep bass response than the RTi70. But the RTi100 can't do midrange as well as the RTi70, and it can't do lower bass as well as a good subwoofer. It's a compromise speaker and I would only (hesitantly) recommend it to someone has no intention of ever using a separate subwoofer.

If you have an outstanding subwoofer and you will be high passing all the speakers at 80 Hz, using a powered tower like the RTi100 is not only a waste of money, but it will also result in a noticeably inferior midrange as compared to the RTi70.

PS - I wouldn't kick anyone's **** for buying a Velo HGS or SPL sub. Good stuff.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • danger boy
    edited August 2003
    Options
    i'd like to kick some ****
    :p
  • acdds
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I returned the 100's and got the 70's. Like everyone said the mid's are much clearer and DVDs sound much better. However, there is a definite difference in the amount of "punch" my HT has. Hopefully when I get a SVS in a few months that will change. I can't wait to order one! Thanks for everyone's advice! Also, should I look at a box or cylinder SVS? I looked at the web site and was a little confused about all the different options on each. I want to spend $500-750. Thanks!
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Options
    acdds,
    The sub selection is a whole 'nother topic. Suggest you fire up a new thread.

Congrats on the 70's...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • acdds
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm still trying to get the hang of this forum!
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • hank1105
    hank1105 Posts: 63
    edited August 2003
    Options
    A little late reply. We practically have the same setup. I went with the 70's and the SVS-PB1. I am not big into powered speakers when you have a solid sub. The 70's have been excellent. I would suggest returning the 100's for the 70's.

Hank
    My 7.1 System:

Fronts: Polk RTi70's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surround Sides: Polk FXi50's
    Surround Backs: Polk RTi38's
    Sub: SVS PB1-ISD

Receiver: Sony STR-DA7ES

SAT Receiver: Sony SAT 200B
    HDTV: Panasonic CT-36HX42
  • DMan
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Ordered my SVS PB1 tonight. This is a new low on the WAF scale, but I'm really enjoying the upgrades to the sound system and hope the SVS adds as much Bang for the Buck as promised on the boards.
    Dman
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by DMan
    Ordered my SVS PB1 tonight. This is a new low on the WAF scale...
    Dman

Dman, do I EVER KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited August 2003
    Options
    lol. where do you people find these obscure smilies!!!
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2003
    Options
    the 100 make sence if you are going 2 channel music and no sub. but the 70 just scream ht. i have the older 800i and they are awsome. i olny have 2 defenate upgrades a pre witch i am getting later this year and a projector. maby if i get a big refund form the goverment earley next year.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2003
    Options
    rti100s are a great HT speaker if you dont have a seperate subwoofer, since u are planning on getting a SVs return those speaks and get urself some i70s, they are smaller and dont need to be placed next to outlets (to help with the WAF). or just wait until the new rti series is released, if you got them at CC you can upgrade.

my vote is for the i70s
  • acdds
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did return the 100's for the 70's and the mid's are much more defined. Thanks again!
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's