svs which one!

Options
dholmes
dholmes Posts: 1,136
My ht is 22x12x7.5 ft. Which svs sub is a good choice the 25-31pcplus, or the 16-46 pc plus. I like bone shattering bass !!! thanks
My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
Post edited by dholmes on

Comments

• kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I won't speak for Doc, but I bet he'd highly recommend the 20-39 PC+.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2003
    Options
    consider the Pb1 or 2.. not sure what doc would reccomend for that size room... I just received my Pb1 and it has deep powerful bass in a roughly 12x11x8 room, your room is long though.. i'm not sure on the cylinder subs but i know the number denotes the size and freq is will output, iE: 20-39 is 39" tall and digs to 20hz depending upon room gain maybe lower.. The deeper the bass you give some spl up.. so its either the deepest bass and a few less db overall output.. or visa-versa.. thats why the 20-39 is the choice of many becuase its a portion of both output and deep extension, (so ive heard and understand)

The Pb2 would be great hands down, depends also on your budget.. and if you want a box or cylinder.. be warned the box subs are large, the cylinders are more tall of course and have a smaller footprint.. DR. will chime in later.. he's on the board today already..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2003
    Options
    The cylinder is the better performance value over the box, being somewhat less expensive for the same performance.

That is a big room so you are into Plus territory for "bone shattering" bass.

While the 20-39 is my favorite cylinder, the 25-31PC+ is the best choice for "bone shattering" bass, having what is commonly referred to as an SBB4 type alignment. The 25-31 has crushing output in the 25 Hz and above region, where nearly all HT and music resides. Expect strong in-room extension to at least 22 Hz.

The PB2+ offers near dual 25-31PC+ performance and cannot be beat for the $$. If you really want to rock that room to the tune of 118-120 dB peaks, get the PB2+ and run it with all ports open and the SS filter set to 25 Hz. It is virtually impossible to bottom the drivers in this setting unless you are really being stupid, and you will get strong extension to 22 Hz.

At more sane levels, you can drop the SS filter to 16 Hz and take advantage of room gain (and the same is true for the 25-31PC+). This is how I run mine, and I'm getting strong in-room extension to 15 Hz. This is not a very protective tune for the woofs, though, as there is little restoring force below the tune point with all ports open and you can bottom the drivers if you push it hard on material with strong subsonic content, like the bar fight scene in Daredevil (no it didn't happen to me, but that DVD is a perfect candidate for doing it).

Or you can even plug a port and run it in the 20 Hz tune, which will give similar extension as above, but with less output and a bit more woofer protection.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2003
    Options
    or if you want to buld a sub. but the pb2 is a sweet sub at a killer price. olny way to beat is to diy. but you will spend about the same to get a little more.
  • Lee Bailey
    Lee Bailey Posts: 71
    edited August 2003
    Options
    The best way to find out what SVS sub will suit your needs, is to contact SVS.
    I sometimes wonder on just how much bass everyone listens to. My living room with our HT in it is 24x16 with a cathedral ceiling. The 25-31PC shakes the whole house, and that's when playing below reference.
    I've got both the upgraded driver and amp now. Don't see a need to go any louder or deeper. But of course, that's my opinion.
    Please feel free to visit my Home Theater Page at The Bailey's Home Theatre in our Living Room.