amp for alpine type-s

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Thanx again for all the help before, and I went out and got two alpine SWS 1041D's, the two only cost $150 from a shop. Anyways, because they have two voice coils, I was wandering what the best amp would be, should I still use the RF 351M or can they handle more power? I'm not really going to play the system too loud because I don't really want to **** up my ears, so I thought that a more powerfull amp would make the subs bump a little better at a lower volume.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Dual voice coil huh? I'm assuming they are dual 4 ohm. If you like Fosgate, my personal choice for those subs would probably be the Power 550s, which you can get from thezeb.com for 269 right now. They are the 2002 model, but brand new.

If I'm not mistaken the rms rating on those subs is 200 with a peak of 600. The amp I listed above will most likely give you more like 300 watts per sub, which would be about perfect for those.

http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/rockfordfosgateamps.html#power_amps
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    Options
    ya series the coils on the subs up to 8 and then parallel the two 8's down to a single 4 ohm load... run it off a bridged 500w 2 channel amp.

my personal choices would be...

1- MTX 8302 --- they're like last year's model, but sounddomain.com has them for something like 199 bucks. retail was around 4. that'll give you about 200 to each sub at 12.5 volts and about 225-230 per sub at 14.4 volts. almost all of the 302's / 8302's sheeted at 200 or better into 2 ohms per channel at 12.5 volts on the bench. i just about swear by the blue thunder 150.2 / thunder 302 / and thunder 8302. wonderful little but 'BOOM STICK' amps with nice solid performance records.

dammit! -- just checked the site - they dont have them anymore -- u can ebay them for prolly 150 - 170 new in box, or hit up www.mitekfactoryoutlet.com for some refurbs or new old stock straight from mtx. ... the new model is the "502" -- pretty much the same amp... crutchfield, sounddomain, and circuit city all have it for about $350

2- Hifonics NX400 -- 400 x 1 bridged into 4 ohms -- $160 bucks after instant rebate from sounddomain. http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/item.pl?sku=HIFNX400

the zeus model is like 70 bucks more after rebate.

3- Kenwood KAC-7251 --- its 460 x 1 bridged into 4 ohms that's 230 a sub -- 250 bucks at www.crutchfield.com
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge