momo's making a weird noise

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I turn my momo's on, and no matter what sound level, they have this kind of, humming or buzz sound to them.. does this mean they are blown? When turned up they still beat pretty hard... The installers had the freq at like, 175 at first, and i got it down to 80 now, and it still does it.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Systems
    edited August 2003
    Also, I am running a RF 1000.1 BD and wondering if I could use a bigger amp?...they beat hard..but not as hard as I would like..
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited August 2003
    im not sure why it might be humming....possibly noise coming into the wiring...and that amp is about all the momos can handle...if you want it to hit harder...youll need subs that can handle more power
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    and btw
    if those installers set your frequency at 175...theyre not worth crap...
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    you've got noise in the line somewhere... its not the subs, its probably not the amp, and its probably not even your headunit... either you have your gain up way to high and you're getting over-amplification related noise or you're getting noise into the patch cables. in which case, relocate them away from teh power wires and get higher quality ones.

as far as how much power -- the RF will put out about 1200 watts... and as cody said, that's about all the momo's will take... about 650 is all u can really do on a momo 12... so 600 ea is close enough that its not worth getting another amp for 50 watts. bump up to a pair of DD9515's or something if that's not loud enough for you... and this time get someone who can do a proper install, because 175 is a joke -- so is noise in the lines, they're supposed to test for that, and run the wriing properly to avoid it.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    alon, the more i think about it, the more that makes me mad, did the installers run the wiring and everything else?
    i can understand if you did it, and if you did im not trying to knock you for your lack of experience, but if it was the installers that did that, id take it back and make them re-run all the wiring, cuz that shouldntve happened
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited August 2003
    I'm a little upset myself, the installers said they would check all their work and make sure everything is sounding alright etc. Although, the frequency was set all the way up to 175, and the gain was turned all the way down. All I did was set the frequency around 75-90 and turned the gain up a little before halfway, and they sound fine now. Although, I'm going to bump up this year {xmas] maybe to some RE ****'s or brahmas :).
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    at this point - and mostly based on word of mouth - i would go with the **** over the brahma.

while the brahma is something i view as having more potential, i've had 3 people tell me they had to send theirs back repeatedly due to the tinsel leads popping off the voice coil, popping outa the spider, tearing the spider, doing all sorts of "wonderful" things. while i imagine that as they see these things coming in with problems they'll alter the design to compensate, you might want to call up Adaire (spelling) and get ahold of a tech and ask him point blank about the issue, his opinion on it, and whether or not its been addressed in product development... and if so, the name of an authorized dealer who would be SURE to have the newer version without said problem. if you can assure yourself of that, then the brahma is a much "sounder" purchase.

its got a nicer sound than the ****. in the land of "S-Q-L" woofers, some tend to lean more towards the SQ and others more towards the SPL -- of those, the adire is about dead in the middle, maybe a tiny shade towards the SQ... whereas the RE is more towards the SPL and something like an SS Davinci is on the polar opposite SQ end of it.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge