Is RTi28 a good choice in this setup?

Options
Damian
Damian Posts: 9
edited August 2003 in Speakers
Hello,

This is my first post as I just got myself my first HT setup.

So far I got:

Harman Kardon AVR525
Harman Kardon DVD25

Main: Polk RTi70's
Center: CSi30
Sub: PSW404

I'm looking for rear speakers. Based on the way the room is set up, I can not mount FXi30 on the wall and really can not afford them now. I can get a good deal for RTi28 though so I was hoping you guys can help me decide if that's going to be enough for the setup as surrounds.

I heard them at CC and they seem to be doing all right as surrounds. Also, I'll probably trade them up as soon as there is going to be a sale at CC when the new RTi's show up :)

Get them or not?

Thanks
Speakers:
RTi70
CSi30
PSW450
FXi30

Receiver:
Harman Kardon AVR525
DVD:
Harman Kardon DVD25
Infocus X1 front projector
Da-Lite B series White Matte screen
Modded XBOX :)
Post edited by Damian on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I have almost the same speakers you have, except i have a csi40 center, i have used the rti28's as rears and they sound nice.. I upgraded to the rti38's and they have alot of impact, bass is better .. But the 28's would suit you fine if you like the way they sound and can afford them.. Thier great little speakers...

If you can mount 28's why can't you mount fxi30's?? because for more HT over music the fxi's are a great little surround speaker.

I couldn't afford the fxi50's i wanted so i got the rti38's.. I love em though,
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Damian
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thank so much for a such quick reply. Actually we listen to the music 80% of the time and watch movies the rest. It is not actually a home theater it is more like a music theater :)

Also, I can not mount them but will put them on the stands.

Anyway, thank you for the advice.
    Speakers:
    RTi70
    CSi30
    PSW450
    FXi30

Receiver:
    Harman Kardon AVR525
    DVD:
    Harman Kardon DVD25
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. :)

I agree with Faster, the RTi28 seems like the best choice for you. This is based on the information you provided. A great deal is a great deal, go for it. It is a nice little speaker.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Damian
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Well, I got RTi28's at CC (got good deal with Gift Card promo) and am trying to hook them up. I also got Monster speaker cable and Monster banana plugs.

I made all the connections and ... just can't plug the banana connector IN! :(

I know it sounds VERY newbie but this is my first setup.

Am I doing something wrong? I removed the black cup (center of the post) after **** down the binding post nuts and can not get them in.

Same thing with the receiver. I had bare wire and I changed them to banana's and ... no music ;)

Anyone?

Also, thank you guys for the advice on the RTi28's
    Speakers:
    RTi70
    CSi30
    PSW450
    FXi30

Receiver:
    Harman Kardon AVR525
    DVD:
    Harman Kardon DVD25
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Did you solder?

What kind of Nanner plugs are you using? The wire probally is not touching the gold tips. I have this problem. You will always have this problem unless you solder. Push the wires all the way up and see if it works. Then get someone to solder them.....

~ :oInsomnia Sid:o ~
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Damian
    edited August 2003
    Options
    No, I got those Twist Crimp Connectors and they are fine. The problem I have is to plug in the banana connector into the binding post on the speaker or the receiver. It either needs a lot of pressure or I'm just plain dumb :)
    Speakers:
    RTi70
    CSi30
    PSW450
    FXi30

Receiver:
    Harman Kardon AVR525
    DVD:
    Harman Kardon DVD25
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Hammer.....

~ :oInsomnia Sid:o ~
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    It just needs alot of pressure. The plugs are "fat" when new, and upon being inserted, "compress" somewhat and thats the purpose for good contact.

Just push harder, I used the same twist-n-crimp MC connectors on some items, and experienced the same issue. Just make sure you press hard straight in, not at an angle.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Damian
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I thought I had done something wrong. I'll try that.

Thanks a bunch!
    Speakers:
    RTi70
    CSi30
    PSW450
    FXi30

Receiver:
    Harman Kardon AVR525
    DVD:
    Harman Kardon DVD25
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Holy Mary Mother of God! Solder, thats it! By george that is the answer i have been looking for. Solder. i was wondering why there wasnt any diff when i tried (key word) to bi-w my 70's with the monster "nanners". Kinda thought the gold plates had something to do with it but then assumed they were bi-w from the inside. Silly me...New weekend project for me. :)
    Life without music would