Anyone into photography?

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited July 2009 in The Clubhouse
Any other photography enthusiasts out there? I just picked up a Nikon D90 and some lenses. I'm what could be considered a sub-amatuer so simple shots like this are fun. I'm not even sure what ISO and other simple terms mean. Learning will be the fun part. Post some cool shots if you have them. :)
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Here is a quick read that will get you started.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=414088

Be careful...Photography can be as addictive (or more) that audio.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited July 2009
    Options
    You need to dust.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited July 2009
    Options
    That link that shack posted is a good resource. I've been into photography for a while now, it can get really expensive pretty quick. in fact, at this point I have more money in photo gear sitting around the house than I do audio gear...wow.

I've also gotten into golf lately, but luckily I've managed to continue enjoying that wihout yet spending alot of money.
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Photography, like many hobbies (cough audio cough) can be come obsessive and extremely expensive. I believe photography is far more expressive, so you can 'make due with what you got' more easily than with audio.

D90 is a good camera to start with. Dad has it as his backup and loves it.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Been getting more and more into it....mostly Macro for highly detailed shots....like this one showing the rim thickness @ .042 on a particular match 22lr cartridge ( Focusing on the dial indicator...not the cartridge...Too bad we have to shrink these photos so much to post em on here. )

attachment.php?attachmentid=41403&d=1246570646
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Ricardo wrote: »
    You need to dust.

I am too afraid to. ;)
    madmax

Great link for beginners. Thanks!

Hey mhardy,
    I actually ran across those links before I bought the camera. They helped me decide I had to do it.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited July 2009
    Options
    great hobby!

Can get expensive fast.

Learn as much as you can
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited July 2009
    Options
    All good things (come to an end )...Furtado

recent news...
    Kodachrome Film will be discontinued by parent company Eastman Kodak. Kodachrome has been around since 1935, and is the first successful color film (there's a Paul Simon song about it, too). Existing supplies of Kodachrome film are expected to last until this fall, with the very last rolls produced to be donated to George Eastman House, a photography museum in Rochester, NY.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I'm still a noob also.

Spud.jpg

Here's my brother's work. I sometimes purchase his gear when he upgrades. http://www.cleanandquiet.com/photos/
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I have not posted anymore Pics since Face ragged on my Photo's with a P&S camera;) So I have recently purchased a Nikon D60 and I am a noob also. It is just as expensive as home audio. Looking to pick up a good deal on a used lens but in this area have not turned up a thing. Will post some pics later. How is CO treating you?

Jim
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Three from 'icouldbeahero'. The first was on film; the other two are digital.