home surround sound

Options
98MaximaMan
98MaximaMan Posts: 11
edited August 2003 in Troubleshooting
when I play a movie the sound cuts in and out all the wires are connected. Is it just time for a new reciever the one I have is only 2 1/2 years old
Post edited by 98MaximaMan on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Options
    WhaCha got?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • 98MaximaMan
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I have a AIWA reciever its pretty good quality
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Aiwa's can be a bit lightweight power-wise. What speakers are you running?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I had this same problem with one of my rear surrounds when i rewired everything. the problem was I was using a banana plug and the wires weren't tight enough to make a good contact. so the right rear was cutting in and out. took me day to notice it.

So i did away with the banana plug and connected the wires back up using bare wire to the binding posts instead. provided a much more secure connection to the speaker.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • 98MaximaMan
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Yeah it probably isn't powerful enough for what I have when I first bought it all I had hooked up to it was two sony towers now I have two bose satellites and a bose center with the two sony towers. I guess I just need to get a more powerful reciever
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2003
    Options
    What do you mean the sound cuts in and out? Does only one speaker crackle or cut out, or do you lose ALL the sound for an instant?? Does it happen on VHS and DVDs?? Does it always happen at exactly the same places? Describe your problem better, when it happens, when it doesn't.

I have an audio-drop-out problem, and the problem is my cheap-**** DVD player gets quirky after awhile. I can do a complete reset of the player and the problem is solved... until it returns.. ha ha. I'll solve this problem permanently with a new player.. probably when my 6 year old leaves for college. The player's operating system can be upgraded, but so far an upgrade hasn't been issued.
  • 98MaximaMan
    edited August 2003
    Options
    all the sound goes out at once I only have DVDs I have a brand new panasonic dvd player with progressive scan hooked up with fiber optic audio cable it skip all the time it gets really annoying and it doen't do in the same places everytime
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2003
    Options
    you might want to disconnect your other speakers and only leave your fronts connected.. then play a DVD and see if you get the same results. It could also be your optical digital cable. i've heard in rare instances they can cut out. make sure the cable is not bent at a sharp angle.

good luck
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • 98MaximaMan
    edited August 2003
    Options
    thanks I'll try that if that doesnt work then I will have my friend Mr. Herd get me a new polk reciever