recommended amps for SDA SRS 2.3 TL's?

Options
waxman
waxman Posts: 124
edited August 2003 in Electronics
Looking for some sage wisdom from those in the know- what do you recommend as the best bang for the buck 2 channel amp to use with SDA SRS 2.3 TL's. Let's set two pricepoint ceilings- one at $500 and one at $1000. Thanks for all of your feedback!
Chris
Post edited by waxman on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2003
    Options
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Options
    wm,
    I can sense you're eager for input, but you have too many threads going on roughly the same question. Over in Flea Market you seem pointed towards Adcom. Here you're wide open.

Focus on one thread or the other and you'll get more complete input...

That said:
    For the $500 option:
    I'd look at a Carver M-4.0t. It'll hit 400+ wpc into 6 ohm continuous with nearly a full 3dB of headroom. Depending on cosmetics, these are in the mid $400 to $600 range on ebay.

For the $1000 option:
    Two 4.0's bridged to mono would be a possibility, but is overkill IMO for the 2.3's. This route would also require the modified SDA IC.
    The Stereo Sunfire at ~300 wpc with 3 dB headroom or Stereo Signature Sunfire at ~600 wpc with 2 dB might be had on ebay in this range. For sure Series I's can be had for around this amount.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3039739112&category=39783

The Sunfire's would open the way to muscling up your HT in the future with a matching, 5 ch Series I or II Cinema Grand or Sig Cin Grand. With the 7 ch's amps now available, the 5 ch models are fairly available and coming down in price.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3040050088&category=14973

ebay pickings are kinda slim right now, but more will be along.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2003
    Options
    The biggest one!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • waxman
    waxman Posts: 124
    edited August 2003
    Options
    You're right Tour2ma- sorry about the mutliple posts, I'm just as excited as I can be after hearing the 2.3's with the proton amp that I can't wait to hear them being powered by more powerful amp. In all seriousness, my wife and I are buying a *house* and I'm more excited about finding the 2.3 TLs.

Adcom comes recommended from a friend and from reading in the groups, they seem pretty respected, so I didn' think I could go wrong but I also wanted to solicit feedback on other manufacturers. I'll try to limit the multiple threads on approximately the same topic in the future. Thanks for your feedback on the Carvers and Sunfire.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Options
    No problem..

Your friend is rught, Adcom makes a very fine power amp. More than a few devotees around here.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD