subwoofer hook up???????????

Options
glemay
glemay Posts: 574
what is better the high level input terminals for hook up, or the low level input? what is the difference?
Main System:
Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
Post edited by glemay on

Comments

• Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Sweet suffering Jesus, will someone not help this bass deprived gentleman with his questions?! This is the second one of the evening without a single effin' reply! The man is in need of some frickin' bass for Christ's sake! Give him the high pass, give him the low pass, just don't frickin' pass on his question again! The man is a living, breathing, human effin' being ... without any gadamm bass! He's with a girl, or with some friends, crankin' the tunes ... and it sounds like an effin' swarm of frickin' mosquitos for Christ's sake! Somebody, do something!!

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,126
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Listen carefully....

Take the plug in your hand...

Reach closely to the receiver

aim for the input on the subwoofer, SLOWLY, do not damage it!...

put the cable in the input...SLOWLY...

When it is attached....

slowly back away....

turn on the receiver...

play a song....

Low pass....20hz?

high pass...100hz?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Sid, I'm guessing his stereo integrated doesn't have a sub pre-out; so I'm figuring he wants to run two subs, using the *polk method* in each instance. Maybe I've got it wrong, not sure here.

I assume when you're questioning top or bottom terminals, you're referring to the RTi70s? The reason there are two different terminals is to give you the option of bi-wiring your speakers. Using either terminal will run your speakers, assuming you've left in the gold plated jumpers.

Someone fancier than I will have to instruct you on how to wire and place your subs ... and for Christ's sake I wish they'd do just that!

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • Fastmerc
    Fastmerc Posts: 99
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Gle,

The reason the sub has the high pass inputs are for folks who are running a sub/sat combo with no sub out from their recievers. The reason it is "high level" or Speaker level is because it takes an amplified or "high" signal, uses an internal crossover and sends an unamplified bass signal to the internal bass amp on the sub...then sends the amped power from the reciever on to the sats.

The low level input just gets the umamped signal straight from the reciever. This is the best way to go if the reciever has a sub out.

Hope that helps,
    Brett
    Mains: RT20Ps
    Center: CS350LS
    R. Surround: RT16s
    R. Center: CS350LS
    F. Effects: LS/FX
    Sub: Titanic 15
    Reciever: Yamaha RX-Z1
    TV: 55 LED LCD
    Interconnects:AR, RSF, MC
    Speaker Cable:MC
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Loud & Clear
    Sweet suffering Jesus, will someone not help this bass deprived gentleman with his questions?! This is the second one of the evening without a single effin' reply! The man is in need of some frickin' bass for Christ's sake! Give him the high pass, give him the low pass, just don't frickin' pass on his question again! The man is a living, breathing, human effin' being ... without any gadamm bass! He's with a girl, or with some friends, crankin' the tunes ... and it sounds like an effin' swarm of frickin' mosquitos for Christ's sake! Somebody, do something!!

Hey now.. it's the weekend.. not everyone hangs out in here 24/7 you know. The guys in here are all offering advice on their own free time.. because they love Polk, audio, etc.. and enjoy helping others. So be careful how you treat others in here. Rants and **** don't fly here. :mad:

MOST times doing a search can yield the answer to most questions. but some people are to lazy to do it. it's so easy. More often then not.. the ? has been asked several times over the course of the past year. Check the archives first.... that's why they're there. Crikey!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: