CRS+ Restoration

Options
jrausch
jrausch Posts: 510
edited July 2001 in Technical/Setup
I am a new member to the club (what a great setup this is!). I wanted to restore my SDA CRS+ system to it's better glory. I just called Helen (talk about your customer service!) and ordered a pair of new tweeters and a Mid range. She said they had the SL2000's on back order and that the SL2500's were in stock and would give me the same performance and tonal qualities of the SL2000's. I took her advice and grabbed the 2500's. Has anyone here used these models instead of the original spec'd units? I have been a major Polk fan since my first purchase of these 13 years ago. to this day, I have still never heard the kind of imageing I get with these units. (May they play @ my funeral)

Thanks for any postings,

JR
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
Post edited by jrausch on

Comments

• axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited July 2001
    Options
    You will get just as good performance from the SL-2500 as the SL-2000 as the specs are pretty similar. You will however notice a physical difference in them because the SL-2500 will be a dull black appearence on the cone.

Don't let this worry you. They will work just fine. I have a pair of RTA-8's with the SL-2500 tweeter and they do a great job. I think you will be satisfied with the performance you get on highs and imaging using this model.

Peace
    Joe :cool:
  • seany
    seany Posts: 1
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I've had a pair of SDA-CRS speakers for 15 years and have had nothing but excellent sound from them until recently when one of the drivers blew. Oh well, nothing lasts forever, but I don't know of anyone else who had speakers last this long with no problems. I'm sure most cheapo speakers last only about five years or less before they're ready for the garbage. I say bravo to Polk , they make a hell of a good speaker!
  • mjmcg
    mjmcg Posts: 102
    edited July 2001
    Options
    SL2000's are on back order???!!! Say what?...I was under the impression from a while back that the SL2000's were kaput altogether, now I learn that isn't so...good thing my attempt to scarf up a bunch I saw on E-Bay for sale failed...I'd be pretty PO'd right now had I bought them.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2001
    Options
    ..gone forever or on back order? (If backordered, what's the lead time?) Could you clear this up for us? It seems we hear it both ways.

I don't need any but would like to know... just in case.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited July 2001
    Options
    This is pure speculation, but from what I was told, the new SL2000's are on back order and that they will no longer be in silver. If they can produce the SL2500's and SL2000's from the same mold, it would keep manufacturing costs down. With some slight modifications they can probably tweak the SL2500's closer to the SL2000's original specs. The new ones will be in black, probably because the black dome materials last longer. I am replacing mine due to dome deterioration. If you were told the original tweeters are no longer available, this would seem be true. It seems they will use these new ones as replacements. The SL2000's are a widely used tweeter in their old line-up. and If these new ones sound as good as the originals, I may order extras to keep my system going. I should receive the Sl2500's with in the next few days. I will post my findings.

Have a better one,

JR
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."