Does this sound like a comment of someone who has heard the LSi's?

Options
dark horror
dark horror Posts: 33
edited August 2003 in Speakers
This was posted on a message board, does it sound like this person has even heard the LSi's? Sure doesn't to me.

"Like I said, I have listen to a lot of speakers and for the price range, nothing can touch Paradigm... not even the Polk Audio LSi series. Paradigm has a much smoother, cleaner, crisper sound to them. They are really laid back, have a excellent sound stage, are very dynamic and image like crazy. The Lsi just falls short."
Post edited by dark horror on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Could be, depending on the Series of pdimes. The LSi are just too 'flat' for some. The metal domes in the pdimes may fill that need for a 'crisp' top end. But to say 'nothing can touch them', that's a pretty bold statement, then again, to that person, it may be true. Sounds more to me like the dude REALLY likes what he has, and has determined it must be the best.

I think they both have redeeming values, and would actually own both. Speakers are where the real fun is at for me, I enjoy the different designs, and tonal characteristics.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I'll have to agree with Russ on this one...It's just seems to be his personal taste. Me, I love my Atoms and my Polks...they both offer different sounds for a great price...I could not be happier...I also like having a variety, listening to the same stuff can get too repetative after awhile...I like to mix it up, keeps things interseting! My next speaker purchase hopes to be a nice pair of Boston Acoustics....

Have fun, it's ok to mix it up!
    -BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I agree it is a matter of taste, and probably a little making himself feel better about what he has. There are guys here very dedicated to Polk, but remember that a lot of other speaker companies have just as dedicated a following. If that weren't so, if we all heard the same thing and liked the same thing, there'd only be a couple of manufacturers. When I shopped my first Polks, I couldn't afford what I wanted and I was ready to pull the trigger on Paradigms. But at the last minute I found a sale on the Monitor 7C that put them back into the running.

I'm like Russ.... I could have a $5000 set of speakers in my house, and STILL have fun and enjoy hooking up and listening to some old garage sale bookshelfs I got for $5.

My family moved WAY too much for this to ever have happened, not to mention my need for cash at particular times, but I wish I had a room somewhere in which I'd saved every pair of speakers I'd ever owned. I know they'd all get listened to even now. Come to think of it, I wish I still had ALL the audio equipment I'd ever owned.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Good replies, but the fact that he says "Nothing can touch Paradigm" leads me to believe that he's a bit biased and not to be listened to in general. ;)

Thats like one of us saying "Nothing can touch Polk..."

Betcha that if he has heard the LSi line, he didn't listen with objective, unbiased ears.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Nothing can touch Polk Audio!!!....there, now we are even with that guy :)

I personally like Paradigm also, its a great speaker. I agree with the bias he is displaying, but its really just normal when you think about it.....hes just a rabid fan is all.

I am rabid, in fact I just had shots today from Micah ;) You do know he's the Polk Vet right??
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    ... in fact I just had shots today from Micah ;)

Shots from micah huh. Where'd he get ya? In the mouth? The eye? Or did he just use one of your socks?

:D
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by phuz
    Shots from micah huh. Where'd he get ya? In the mouth? The eye? Or did he just use one of your socks?
    ROFL!!!!! Beat me to that one phuz.......Gold Jerry, GOLD!!!!!!
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Opinions are like ****, everyone has one and they all stink.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    All of the above. :cool:
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Going to do a rough inventory tonight, just did a quick count of speakers.

18 pairs of loudspeakers consisting of 10 different brands (5 pair are Polk).

5 subs, 3 powered, 2 passive, 4 different brands (1 Polk).

All ranging from current models, to some over 40 years old. Prices ranging from $18 to $2000 (retail). And they ALL have something I enjoy.

I'm not going to count the partial completes or empty cabs.

Variety is where it's at for me apparently.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2003
    Options
    There is no sense in going on and on about a particular speaker. Well, unless they are sda's :D

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited August 2003
    Options
    "Like I said, I have listen to a lot of speakers and for the price range, nothing can touch Paradigm... not even the Polk Audio LSi series. Paradigm has a much smoother, cleaner, crisper sound to them. They are really laid back, have a excellent sound stage, are very dynamic and image like crazy. The Lsi just falls short."

and then what Russ said was well put:

"Could be, depending on the Series of pdimes. The LSi are just too 'flat' for some. The metal domes in the pdimes may fill that need for a 'crisp' top end. But to say 'nothing can touch them', that's a pretty bold statement, then again, to that person, it may be true. Sounds more to me like the dude REALLY likes what he has, and has determined it must be the best. "

Actually, right now I'm listening to my Studio 40s in my home office two channel rig with the B&K setup, Myryad cd player, and kimber wire (moved LSi 9's out for the evening) and sounds pretty good. The Studios are a bit better sounding at times than the LSi 9s at lower "office" volumes due to the metallic tweeter which can provide better details at lower volumes even though the laid-backness of the B&K amp and this Myryad cd player helps to tame some of the brightness. Play them louder though and I much prefer the LSi 9.

IMO, Paradigm is definitely clean, crisp, and detailed.
    LSi are clean, image extraordinarily, laid back sounding for sure. Much more laid back than Paradigm in my opinion

Both are nice and I proudly own both. I have switched back and forth what seems hundreds of times but I always go back to the LSi.

PJ
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Sandy Gross designed the Polk Monitor 10's (not Matthew Polk). Sandy Gross is now with Definitive Technology.

So, just because they say Polk doesn't mean that they don't sound like Definitive Technology Speakers.

Interesting eh? Its not the name that is important. It's the speaker designer.

Found this clip on google dated 1994:

I don't think there is anything wrong with them. Sandy Gross, one of the
    co-founders of Polk Audio, however, retired in '90 and started Definitive
    Technologies in '92 (though I might be wrong about the dates). DefTech
    speakers sound much better than Polks, though they cost a bit more.
    DR-7's cost around $500 for the bookshelf version, $600 for the tower version,
    I believe. I think that evolution is the reason Polk gets so little mention
    around here.
  • dark horror
    dark horror Posts: 33
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Guess I could add some other interesting quotes.

"Paradigm sounded better, they are much laid back... almost like they aren't even there. Like a good speaker should be. It isn't the setup, you are just in denial."

"Polk Audio SUCKS"

"Polk is such a crappy company today"
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dark horror
    This was posted on a message board, does it sound like this person has even heard the LSi's? Sure doesn't to me.

What message board did you hear this on? Was it Bens Bargains?