Tighter bass from Sub

Options
mbrasg
mbrasg Posts: 2
Want tighter bass from your Sub if you have suspended strip flooring?

I went out and got a piece of granite 2 inches thick and size of Sub and placed ON TOP of sub. As if I was trying to hold it down from jumping across the floor.
Post edited by mbrasg on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I have done the same thing, but used the granite as a base instead of weight. It is a good idea, nice to see another tweaker in here ;)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2003
    Options
    If you don't have a concrete floor, the bass can be very boomy and muddy depending on how much the floor flexes and how much open space is below it.

I always tell people to jump up and down on the floor and see how much boom and sound they can create. Then I tell them to do the same thing on a concrete floor. Huge difference. The concrete paver or slate under the sub has worked the best for me when troubleshooting this with fellow enthusiasts. the thicker and heavier, the better. The reactive forces of today's high performance woofs are very strong - enough to turn the typical wood floor into a trampoline.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • hollidark
    hollidark Posts: 7
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Where did you guys run across those slabs and for how much?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Concrete pavers are cheap from Home Depot and Lowe's. They may not be pretty but the are thick, and heavy. A friend of mine sealed one with stone sealer than painted it in a booth, electric blue and it looks real nice. Stone sealer and spray paint can do a similar job I am sure.

I picked up my Granite free, from a custom stone fabrication shop. They cut marble and granite, this was actually a scrap piece. My friend shaped it 15" x 15", and polished the edge for me. They usually have various pieces of scrap, and many different colors available. Just check you local area for a marble or granite supply house. I wouldn't imagine it being more than $50, if not just free. They may charge you to polish it, but it would probably be nominal.

Get granite, it is cheaper than marble. You don't get many large wasted pieces of marble anyhow, granite is more common.

If you really have problems finding one, let me know and I'll ask my local.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.