Testing something with my rt600i and rt25i

Options
abenedicto
abenedicto Posts: 55
edited August 2003 in Speakers
I 'd like to combine my rt600i's and rt25i's by connecting my rt25i's through the "b" terminals on my reciever and putting them on top of my rt600i's. Does this sound crazy ?.....I'm trying to simulate the output of a rt800i..:D ...I want to do this basically because I don't want to get rid of the rt25i's when I get my new FX500 surrounds....

Also, assuming this works, when playing back DD/DTS material will both terminals (A+B) have output at the same time ? or only the "A" speakers ?
think before you speak....peace always

Yamaha htr-5740
Sony 222es (sacd/cd)
Velodyne CT-10 (sub)
JVC 48WP74 (HDTV)
Post edited by abenedicto on

Comments

• fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited August 2003
    Options
    It's not going to giver you the same output at the RT800i's because of the interna circuitry. From my understanding the 880i's dual woofers is simply splitting the load between the two.

If you stack another speaker on top of the 600i it may not be as equally balanced. I would think it would be hard to get them to have = output levels. The only way to find out is to try.

If it works, COOL. If it doesn't...
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Most receivers, when switched from stereo to a surround mode (pl,dd,dts) will only use the main speaker attached to the 'A' side.

If you receiver can handle a 4ohm load (and probably less), you could wire the speakers in parallel. Don't do this at any *real* volume, until you are sure your receiver can handle it, or that it at least has a protection circuit built in.

If you want the sound an RT800 produces, buy some RT800's. Nothing wrong with experiementing though, its a learning process.

Cheers,
    Roooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Sony ES works exactly like Russ explained, cannot do it, AND have surround sound. If there are others just like this, than its probably a common design feature.

But hell why not try it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I have had 800i"s in parallel with RTA8T's and call it stonehenge. SPL increases but I spent some time trying fot stereo image.

it can be done with alot of effort and make sure your amp can do it.

twin:p
    ***WAREMTAE***