Just entered the Vinyl world

2»

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Forgot about the MH....

Nice, but when you can get a TD-124 with a SME 3009 on ebay for 30% less than the MMF-7...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • bugner
    bugner Posts: 56
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by fireshoes
    That's what I have too. I got a display model at the store for cheap. I wanted a nicer one, but I need a new amp, dvd player, and subwoofer first. ;) One of my co-workers just got a Music Hall (MF7 ?), but I haven't got to listen to it yet.

The Technics is alright, but sometimes I notice it sounds like people have a lisp. Do I not have enough weight on the needle or is it something else?

well, one reason the table is so inexpensive is because you can't adjust any of the usual things - stylus pressure, antiskating, VTA. Your best bet would be to get a better p-mount.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2003
    I think that AT 331 is what I almost bought a couple of years ago. I found the 331 .. maybe at J&R, for like $20 less than other places. Still haven't pulled the trigger on anything.

J&R has an AT and a Shure each for $30 plus shipping. I'd probably go with the AT, but I'm basing that on NOTHING but really old gut feeling.

I noticed an Ortofon stylus for $28 that just MAY be the one I need.

Never had a Technics cartridge. Bought Ortofon with the table, replaced the stylus once. I really like Ortofon, but they don't make anything new (or didn't last time I checked) in the sub-$50 range.

Very often the problem of slurring SSSSSs is a bent cantilever. Too light of a tracking weight, I thought, primarly showed up as easy skipping, or skating.
  • burdette
    edited August 2003
    I've got a sizable amount of Southern Comfort coursing through my veins.. 1959 release of Hound of the Baskervilles on the DVD... first Sherlock Holmes mystery filmed in color.. Peter Cushing stars.

I hooked up the Philips turntable. Man, this thing is classic. Wooden base, a suspension a glass truck would be proud to have. The cartridge is a Grado F3+. Hooked it up through my Onkyo TX-84, new in 1988... used my Discwasher D4, and my Discwasher stylus brush. Had to listen to Styx's Queen of Spades first.. haven't heard it in years.. and years. Weak link in the system is the speakers, which are my redesigned KLH-based units, built from the drivers I got from Russman. They sound pretty good, but they ain't no Monitor 7s.

Checked out a couple of other albums. Many of mine are in pretty good shape. They were played only once or twice. On first play of a new album, I always made a cassette, and used that from then on. The older the album, the worse shape its in, because I didn't always do the cassette transfer right away, and some of these albums I'm pretty sure were played on my ORIGINAL stereo, which was an all-in-one unit with TT, cassette, tuner, and *8-track*... received for Christmas, I'm guessing in 1978.

My first "better" system was this same all-in-one unit, the outputs played through an OLD tube amp ... old in '81... connected to a pair of homebuilt speakers sporting a 12" long-throw Herald's Electronics woofer in probably a 3ft3 box, and a 1" mylar dome tweeter, built to copy the old Altec-Lansing Model 14.
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/specs/home-speakers/model-14.htm

That tube amp had so many screw-terminals on the rear, and the words were so faded, it took us two days to find a left and right speaker-level output.

I realized again tonight.. those were my very first pair of great speakers... homebuilt, constructed when I was 16.

I received this TT nonworking.... 10 bucks and TWO belts later (one on the TT, and a spare), it is back in perfect working order.

Anyway, it works, sound great. I remember I always ended up buying a RS felt "static mat", which I don't have. But it's summer in mid-MO... dryness isn't exactly a problem.

This thing is up and rockin', HBomb. I do suggest .. if you're serious about some vinyl testing... that you search out and buy, beg or borrow some 'cleaner' records. But... mine aren't too bad. We can hook up next week and you can get this thing to the Italian villa in the woods.

I'll have to post a photo later. My gorgeous wife is in Alaska and has our digital camera.

P.S. edit... this movie gives Tarantulas a bad image. Did you know you can find Tarantulas in southen MO? Also, EVERY type of poisonous snake found in the US is found in MO. I had to deal with a Copperhead wrapped around a tomato plant a couple of summers ago. Grab the wok, honey, time for Pepper Steak.. I man, Pepper Snake.
  • dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited August 2003
    First upgrade the turntable. Belt driven is fine, but you need the strobe(timing)which the BD20 does not have.

Next, buy yourself a Nitty Gritty record cleaner (you'll be glad you did).

Next, purchase a Audio technica" AT311EP 'P' mount cartridge for Stereo LP's, or a Grado ME+ for the Mono's.

Next upgrade to Belden 89259 interconnects with the Eichmann Bullet Plug's.

My first pressing doors stereo/mono LP's never sounded better ;)

Dan
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2003
    I hope with this short notice I can stop all transaction's. My situation has changed and I have to move. I have to relocate my family and that will be priority over audio. When my girls are safe I'll jump back into our hobby. That said, I'll be in touch when I can experiment with audio systems and I hope this causes no inconvenience. "Tour if you have already sent the preamp I will take care of it... and if its not sent then no foul.":cool:

Mark I think you will be spending some time in the KC area:D We will not lose touch if its the last thing I prevent. This is still my market but I have a lot more responsibility. I'll be Back...

With Respect

Twin:)
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Damn... that witness protection plan is not all it's cracked up to be I guess... :)

No prob's Henry. Wasn't hitting the mail until Monday.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • burdette
    edited August 2003
    Similarly, no prob. This was all for your experimentation and benefit. Sorry to hear about the move, however.. I was looking forward to many more evenings.

Let me/us know what is going on, when you can. I do not, however, want to know anything that would require you to kill me.