7.1 surround sound question

Options
J9_ls1
J9_ls1 Posts: 20
I have the onkyo TxNR901 and the complete LSI line. Including 1 pair lsi15, 2 pair lsifx, and one lsic. My question is, how can I get a 7.1 surround soun from a 5.1 source. Example, most dvds are 5.1, what can I do to get a 7.1 surround field. Any advice would be appreciated.
Post edited by J9_ls1 on

Comments

• GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Wow, Nice System!

I own the Onkyo 898 (basically the same receiver as yours) so I'm very familiar with it (understatement).

1st:
    Make sure everything is wired properly.

2nd:
    speaker setup> speaker config> surr L/R > Yes
    speaker setup> speaker config> surr back> yes

3rd:
    audio adujst> surr speakers> sursp: L/R+Bk

You should be good to go, it'll tell the rear channels on 5.1 to go to all four rear speakers. If you menu isn't exatly like this, it'll be pretty close.

Hope that helps
    Guitarhead
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited July 2003
    Options
    5.1 to 7.1 surround fields conversion is a function of your Oink..So, since I am not familiar with Oink players, check it and see if it allows you to have 7 speakers setup. And then, if one of the surrounds mode will let you direct sounds to all 7 speakers (usually thru some kind of mirroring surround and surround back contents), then you will get auto conversion from 5.1 source to 7.1 output. Hope it helps...

EIDT: GH beats me with a more specific and details, good deal!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.