Check out this auction!

Frank Z
Frank Z Posts: 5,860
edited August 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
Post edited by Frank Z on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2003
    Those are nice amps! Expensive, but you get a lot of power. I doubt that it's all tube though because I don't know any tube amp that can push over 500w. It's probably a hybrid tube/ss. It's very interesting though because I remember reading and article where Bob Carver himself stated that he could make his ss amps sond exactly like tubes. I wonder why he's using tubes there....

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited July 2003
    Frank,
    Third pair of these I've seen listed and the lowest selling price, probably due to the damage mentioned. Also have seen a pair of Silver 9t's sell for ~$1500 US.

organ,
    Bob Carver did not want to mimic other tube or SS amps' sound with his last line of SS amps, so he built the Silvers as his vision of the "ultimate" tube amp. He then used the Silvers to taylor the sound of his SS amps, e.g., the M-4.0t, and his TFM's.

I don't think originally the Silvers were intended for sale, but there was a clamor for them so a production run was made. I think they were around $5000 a pair new...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2003
    They are not tube amps. They are made to mimick the sound of tubes. I have a pair of the 9t's I got in 93. At that time they sold in stores for $1399 each. I got the pair out of a stereophile magazine classified for $1500 and then found a third (for a sub) for $600. Very nice setup and enough good clean power for anything you want to hook up to it. Just a few months ago I saw a repair manual for them and decided I should have one. The '7 and '9 are the same except for a couple of resistor changes and the '9 uses monster cable internally. Very fine amplifiers!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    max,

You are correct... I was not clear in what I wrote.

Carver did make and sell the tube mono block amp I was alluding to. It looked similar to the 7t and 9t, but I cannot remember the model name.... do you?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2003
    The tube amp was called the Silver Seven. He designed the silver 7t (t=transfer function) to sound like it. A few tweaks turned it into the silver 9t. The Silver Seven was VERY expensive but I forget the exact amout.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D