dipole-bipole?? direct radiating

Options
dholmes
dholmes Posts: 1,136
edited July 2003 in Speakers
I have 4 fx500i for surround & back. Would I get better sound from a direct radiating speaker in back or from what I am using now? It sounds good now but the surround back could sound better. thanks
My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
Post edited by dholmes on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Try bipole switch at the rear and dipole switch at the sides. Also, in the rear try to arrange it so the midrange driver faces toward the listener.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    If you have 4 of them the two in the rear should be in Bipole mode, the sides in Dipole. This should give you a pretty sweet soundfield. The null that is created with Dipoles only will be filled by the Bipoles. The Bipoles in the rear will diffuse the sound better than a direct radiating.

I personally don't plan to take that route, but then again I don't have 4 FX500i's laying around :) I am going with a center channel for my rear surround, it will fill in my null spot.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.