Maurice?

Options
dcarlson
dcarlson Posts: 1,740
edited July 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Is this what you have?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3037450571&category=39783

What are your thoughts? Yes, or too much?

Derick.
SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
Post edited by dcarlson on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Derick,
    That's like the one I have. Madmax and Tour2ma owns them too, let's hope they can give you feedback as well. For the price being offered right now, IMO, it is a steal, especially for the condition their in! I(and this is just me) would pay up to $1200CDN for another. Stock units usually go for around $500USD at ebay while highly modified ones can go very high. There's a reason why they're so popular. The stock units sound awesome, but those who have modified their amps claim that it's the best sounding tube amp. Check out dynaco-doctor.com for mod kits and the forum. These units are very easy to mod and learning to solder is very easy.

By looking at the pics, it looks like the power cord has been replaced and the output stage modded. Stock amps use the output taps with matching speaker impedance located on the far left and right at the rear. I see the mods as a good thing and probably improved the sound.

I haven't used mine for almost a month because the quad cap started to leak. The sound became weaker and a hum could be heard. I have ordered a replacement and should arrive Monday. I can't wait:)!

Are you planning to bid on that amp? I'm not forcing you to;) but let's say this is the amp that got me hooked on tubes. Ever since the cap went bad I just found that my SS stuff doesn't make music as exciting to listen to. I went as far as ordering a tube pre amp to get the magical sound back. The new pre together with the NAD amp is the best sound I've heard and I'm dying to find out how it will sound with the Dynaco once I install the new cap. I will post a review on the pre sometime next week. Russman is also thinking about going tubes for his pre. Russman, if you're reading this, I'd say do it asap! you won't regret it. Those pics doesn't do them justice, check out the pic tour2ma posted to see the chrome chassis shine. Once you pick it up, the term "built like a tank" really comes to mind from its solidity and weight. The sound quality is just super. The mids are wet and juicy and the highs very smooth. Since you're a DIY/Tweakier kind of guy, I think you should get it:) ST-70's in that condition is rare, especially with the original box. Wow, this is a long reply, hope you didn't find it boring.

Maurice
  • organ
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Dude, I just took a look at the seller's location and he's in Canada. Mmmmmm...He's not too far from you eh?:) The reserve is met and let's hope the price doesn't jump. They usually go for $500 and right now it is much lower.

Maurice
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'm going to watch it. We'll see how high it goes.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited July 2003
    Options
    dc,
    The ebay ST70 you linked to is pretty sweet looking. Mod's appear to be insignificant, although I'd rather see the 5-ways replace the old speaker terminals rather than add new holes. But that's nit-picking.

This amp does have the large PT that is preferred. And it is the kit version which is also preferred. The name plate should not be on the PT though...

Assuming the tubes are good to go, a few months ago I could see this ST70 going for $400 to 460 US. However, ebay prices seem to be off a bit again so could be a deal here. Seller certainly is not expecting much as his reserve has already been met.

Have you asked the seller any questions?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Questions like what? I know absolutely nothing about tubes.

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited July 2003
    Options
    dc,
    Just general stuff like:
    - original owner?
    - any mod's aside from posts?
    - were the output tubes matched?

Do ask if the badge is glued to the Power Transformer...

Mostly you just want to get a read on whether the seller knows tubes... I don't get a strong sense of that in his write-up, but with the price still holding with about 40 hours to go, it looks like a good deal that will go in the mid $300's...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I can't do it. :( I've been figuring out my finances and the Musical Fidelity put me over the edge for a little while. I'm now limited to
    tweaking the hell out of what I have.

Feel free to bid away.

• organ
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Derick,
    Whenever you're ready to play around with tubes, they're always available at ebay. If I had the money, I'd bid on that. I'm going to wait a few months and find another in excellent condition.

Tour,
    Did you try to run yours in triode mode? I found a website that tells you how. You just have to add a resistor in each socket and move a few wires around. I don't think I'm going to do it because it cuts the power by half. I need all the juice I can get for the LSi. How much of a diference is triode compared to pentode?

I finally got mine running. The leaky quad cap was giving me the loud hum and anemic sound. Now that I replaced the quad cap, the amp sounds fantastic. The 9's really opened up and the bass is a lot better and tighter. I also installed the bias replacement. It came with new resistors, caps and a silicon diode to replace the silenium rectifier. The bias is much more stable but it seems like it would drop 0.08V in the afternoon and comes back to my original setting by night. Weird...Does yours do the same thing? Do you know where I can find a replacement 7199 board online? I'm looking for one with high quality resistors and caps. I can't get it rom dynaco-doctor because Joe Curcio won't accept credit card.

Maurice

*edit* Derick,
    Have you had the change to visit your dealer again for a demo of the MF CD player? You should try it with an XLR cable. Does the Rotel also support XLR?
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    The Musical Fidelity A3CD and the Rotel both don't have XLR outs.

My MF integrated deosn't support it either.

I'm actually going to start reading about tubes. I'm sure I'll get to them sometime.

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by organ
    Derick,
    That's like the one I have. Madmax and Tour2ma owns them too, let's hope they can give you feedback as well.
    Maurice

I wish I had one. Have not had the pleasure yet. :)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D