Dr. Spec Denon 2900

Options
dholmes
dholmes Posts: 1,136
edited July 2003 in Electronics
Sorry, I have another 2900 question . Does it have a zoom feature, is it in steps- x1 x2 ect, or is it smooth & adjustable? thanks again. Cant make up my mind on this player, you did say it had a few problems with certain dvds, is it bad?
My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
Post edited by dholmes on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    The 2900 does not have "problems" with any DVDs. It functions perfectly in all respects.

The "problem" is that certain Disney DVDs are improperly encoded and have 3:2 Alternating Progressive Frame Flag issues in the Chroma channel.

This looks exactly like the regular Chroma Bug, but the MPEG decoder in the 2900 is not malfunctioning; it is properly reading an improperly (but legally) encoded signal.

It's not Denon's fault, and it is barely noticeable in a handful of scenes. I saw it on two scenes in Monster's Inc. but you have to know what you are looking for.

It is nothing like the regular Chroma Bug (which WAS a true problem with the MPEG decoder), which was horrible and showed up in almost every scene on my 2800 MKII and which Denon has completely fixed with the 2900.

Denon SHOULD have programmed the MPEG decoder to deal with improperly encoded DVDs, but they chose not to. Strike 1 against Denon and shame on them. But overall it's NBD.

To answer your other question, yes it has a zoom feature (I think in 2X increments), and you can also pan to any spot on the screen. The zoom feature is easy to use and intuitive.

The 2900 is a close to a perfect universal player in the $1,000 price class that you will find - the PQ and SQ are outstanding.

Many audio enthusiasts buy the 2900 strictly as an audio player just for the SQ on DVD-A and SACD. And I continue to be amazed at how much better even regular CDs sound on this player.

Denon SHOULD have added a time delay feature to the SACD decoder, but again they chose not too. Strike 2 against Denon and shame on them again, but again overall it's NBD and I can't hear the difference on my system since all my speaks are "almost" equidistant from the listening position.

Overall, the 2900 is coming highly recommended from hundreds of informed and experienced enthusiasts over at HTF. These guys are very picky about PQ and SQ and they are raving over this unit.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks Dr Spec, you have been helpful. I am getting very close to ordering one!!!thanks again
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • twochannel
    twochannel Posts: 171
    edited July 2003
    Options
    The Denon 2900 outperforms the Sony 9000 ES which is an excellent player. I demoed the 9000ES with projection sets and when we finally bought the 50XBR800 it was discontinued. The Sony 999ES does not compare or live up to its prediscessor. I use the Fifth Element Superbit and North By Northwest to demo players and the 2900 seems to have more detail and less of the jitter the Sonys have. Haven't tried SACD yet. Excellent player! Glad I waited!
  • rciegr
    rciegr Posts: 4
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Dr. Spec.
    I just got a dvd-2900 from crutchfield.
    I did all the research about the bass management problems (over at AVS forum) and have a copy of the denon setup tips. Iam running the following:
    denon 3802 receiver:
    rt800i fronts
    cs400i center
    4-f/x300i surrounds/back surrounds (for movies)
    and 2-rt55i for dvd-a & sacd surround.
    1-SVS 20-39 pci sub
    The 3802 has the output level controls for the external analog inputs. I have the 2900 setup with all speakers small with the filter on, and adjusted the subwoofer level with the 3802(ext. inputs) to get close to 75dB to match the other channels (about a +5 to +6db increase)

A few questions for you when you get a chance:
    1. how are you running the 2900 for dvd-a and sacd?
    large with filter on or small with filter on or just filter off?
    2. how do you play just regular cd's? (using the analog outputs I don't get any bass out of the sub-I also changed the front speakers to large in the 2900 and still no bass to the sub) I like to set my 3802 to direct or stereo and the only way to get 2.1 is to use the digital connection. How exactlly does the "bass enhancer" work and for what formats and which channels.

Also, the other night I played the 2900 for about four hours with a couple of dvd-a, Eagles Dvd-v(DTS), Roger Waters dvd-v and a couple of other dvd-music videos all blasting at -10db to 0db. The 3802 sits about 3 inches below the 2900 (on its own shelf in a cabinet-doors half open-no back) and the 3802 was very hot. The problem is the 2900 started to skip on all dvd's, with 3-5 second continuous pause's. The 2900 was also very warm and the dvd's were very warm to the touch. I turned it off and back on but it continued to skip. I then turned it off for about 10 to 15 minutes and its worked fine for the last few days. Do you think I may have a problem?

Thanks for any help.
    Robert
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'm planning on getting one of these.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by rciegr
    The 3802 has the output level controls for the external analog inputs. I have the 2900 setup with all speakers small with the filter on, and adjusted the subwoofer level with the 3802(ext. inputs) to get close to 75dB to match the other channels (about a +5 to +6db increase)

A few questions for you when you get a chance:
    1. how are you running the 2900 for dvd-a and sacd?
    large with filter on or small with filter on or just filter off?
    2. how do you play just regular cd's? (using the analog outputs I don't get any bass out of the sub-I also changed the front speakers to large in the 2900 and still no bass to the sub) I like to set my 3802 to direct or stereo and the only way to get 2.1 is to use the digital connection. How exactlly does the "bass enhancer" work and for what formats and which channels.

Also, the other night I played the 2900 for about four hours with a couple of dvd-a, Eagles Dvd-v(DTS), Roger Waters dvd-v and a couple of other dvd-music videos all blasting at -10db to 0db. The 3802 sits about 3 inches below the 2900 (on its own shelf in a cabinet-doors half open-no back) and the 3802 was very hot. The problem is the 2900 started to skip on all dvd's, with 3-5 second continuous pause's. The 2900 was also very warm and the dvd's were very warm to the touch. I turned it off and back on but it continued to skip. I then turned it off for about 10 to 15 minutes and its worked fine for the last few days. Do you think I may have a problem?

Thanks for any help.
    Robert

3803 Ext. Input Bass Level: +15 (I don't know if 3802 has this).

2900 Settings:

- all speakers small
    - filter on
    - subwoofer yes
    - bass enhancer yes/on (this will give you 2.1 sub for stereo)

My sub level in the 2900 ended up being around -7 to obtain a 77 dB average (75 dB for all other speakers). This is of course due to the +15 setting on the 3803 Ext. Input Bass Level. I can adjust the 3803 downward in 5 dB increments if I needed to, but I was OK at +15 (3803) and -7 (2900). Remember, the overall sub level is a combination of the 3803 Ext. Input AND the 2900 sub settings. If you can get a proper sub level at +7 (2900), then that's perfectly OK too.

The bass enhancer is a stupid name for that feature. It doesn't enhance anything, it simply gives you the subwoofer for 2 channel and retains the 80 hz crossover and 12/24 high/low pass filter rates.

I listen to all music through the 2900, CD, DVD-A and SACD.

The 2900 DOES run hot. It needs a lot of air and I have mine running under my 3803 instead of above it, since the 3803 vents the heat upwards.

I have several inches above the 2900 between shelves. I would use a tiny fan if it remains a problem. I've never had mine skip and it sounds heat related. Keep an eye on it and return if needed for a replacement. Mine has been utterly reliable in all respects thus far.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Options
    i've read that your receiver/amp should never be "under" any component.. because of all the heat coming off of it.

I'd move the 2900 down.. somewhere underneath on a different shelf away from your receiver. My receiver is at the top of my shelf... on a shelf by itselft.. nothing on top of it. heat is bad for electronics... well that much heat anyways.

Move it or lose it.. before you fry it. That would be bad.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2003
    Options
    mine is at the top of my entertainment center but still creates quite a bit of heat, i had to move the shelves down to give it some more air...i dont think i had any heat caused problmes though so idk