OHM QUESTION.....need help

Options
solace
solace Posts: 7
edited July 2003 in Electronics
Can someone please elaborate on Impedance of speakers and receivers. Most receivers I've seen on the market are rated at 8 ohms and am wondering if I hooked up 6 ohm speakers to the receiver. Will it fry the circuit board of the receiver?

My Sony STR-DE475 is powering Polk bookshelf speakers and centers at 8 ohms but has previously powered some Aiwa 6 ohm speakers (mini system speakers) do you think any damage occured to the receiver while powering the 6 ohm speakers?

Thanks
Post edited by solace on

Comments

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Actually you can do more harm to your speakers by under powering them than you can to your receiver by driving it past it's limitations. If they were mini system speakers I doubt they were asking for too much power, although that particular receiver probably isn't a good choice to power 6 ohm speakers.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones