Amp and placement of MM10?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram Reg Cab and my wife order me an Polk/Momo MM10 and an MTX Thunder 801D amp for my birthday (she loves me), My first question: Is this a good amp for this sub?

MTX Thunder 801D Specifications:
RMS Power 12.5 VDC Input
2 Ohm Load 500 w x 1
4 Ohm Load 250 w x 1

Dynamic Power 14.4 VDC
2 Ohm Load 800 w x 1
4 Ohm Load 400 w x 1

Secondly, is this a good Sub for my truck? I have plenty of room to mount it behind the seats but the direction for the MM10 said to mount it in the trunk and I don't have a trunk!?!

I'm new to the car audio world so please be kind?

Thanks,
Dhunckyn
Albuquerque, NM
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    yes that amp is a good amp for the sub
    those are great subs too
    youll want a box that has the sub facing forward
    and if you want even more bass, then you could add another mm10 and you could still use the same amp!
    and you wouldnt be depriving it of power
    thats just the way amps work
    you noticed that it said 400x1 @ 4 ohms or 800x1 @ 2 ohms
    well, if you have one sub, the 4 ohm load is what you look at
    and since the sub is rated at 400 watts, then thats perfect
    if you have 2 subs, the 2 ohm load is what you look at
    and since 400x2(2 subs)=800, then youre good there too
    i have a box for 2 mm12s that i had made at a local shop for $120
    it fits under the back seat of my 96 gmc extended cab
    im not sure how much room you have under your back seat...but thats the way i would go
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    dude if you can FIT it behind a seat then go for it, as that is the ideal placement for it.

preferably on the passenger side so that if you have to move the seat forward to get it in the driver wont be kissing the steering wheel.

mount it upright and facing forward (woofer firing toward the back of the seat, NOT the back wall of the truck). leave approximately 3 inches or a shade more between the actual face of the woofer and the back of the seat.. keep in mind there's a grille on that box and the actual face of the woofer is like only half as "high" as the grille... so if hte grille is 1.5" off the face of the box itself, then cut it in half = 0.75" and add 2.25" from the face of the grille to the back of the seat... a little more if you can... if you cant, no big deal.. but at least give it that much or else you're not gonna see it be able to propogate a waveform in the truck.

u can bolt the amp down under a seat, just make SURE it is not bolted to anything metal or touching anything metal. i'll forgo the explaination of why, and simply say if you'reputting it under the back seat then bolt it to a 1/4" thick piece of plywood (which u can of course carpet or whatever so its not silly looking) and then shove that whole plywood/amp deal under the seat making sure teh top of the amp has at least 2" or better breathing room.... they get hot... they need space.

ideally i'd say mount the amp behind the driver seat on the back wall.

since the sub will be on the passenger side, unless you intend to add another sub then you can just bolt the amp up on teh back wall of the driver side... since that wall should be carpeted, you wont need to insulate the amp (it has plastic feet so u can just screw it right to the back wall with some decent grade screws).

now i've got a few questions for you...

1- how are your feeding the amp.... (ie - did you keep your stock dodge tape/cd player or did you get an aftermarket one)?

2- do you have a 4 gauge power line for the amp? if not - get one... while technically you can run the amp to one sub and only use 8 gauge, if you ever add another amp in the future or you ever add a 2nd sub, then you'll need a bigger power line... thus... just do 4 gauge now and be safe.

3- is it the grocery getter 4.7L, the Hemi-Magnum, or the Diesel? and will you please give it to me??? please? pretty please???
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    oops...i thought you had a extended cab
    my mistake...do what pbd said, put it behind the passenger seat
    1 10" momo for a regular cab should be more than enough
    try to go to a local shop that builds boxes for subs
    tell them you want it to have .66in^3 of space in it
    that enclosure works best with that sub...any bigger or smaller can cause problems
    q-logic is not a good idea
    and particle board is not a good idea either
    you want yours made out of 3/4" MDF
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    now i've got a few questions for you...

1- how are your feeding the amp.... (ie - did you keep your stock dodge tape/cd player or did you get an aftermarket one)?

2- do you have a 4 gauge power line for the amp? if not - get one... while technically you can run the amp to one sub and only use 8 gauge, if you ever add another amp in the future or you ever add a 2nd sub, then you'll need a bigger power line... thus... just do 4 gauge now and be safe.

3- is it the grocery getter 4.7L, the Hemi-Magnum, or the Diesel? and will you please give it to me??? please? pretty please???
    Thanks for the help guys, to answer your questions:

1-Alpine CDA-7893 (4v pre-sub out)

2-I already have 4ga ran for my other amp (Alpine MRV-F540)

3-no grocery getter here, it's got the Hemi with volant intake (I have an AEM Brute force on order) and it is lowered with a Hotchkis TVS. And NO you can't have it :P

I'll attach some picture later

Thanks again
    Dhunckyn
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2003
    Passenger side
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2003
    Behind driver seat
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2003
    Behind passenger seat
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    *whining* BUT I WANT IT!

that's a beautiful truck dude. i love that color, i have since i saw the first one in '02 painted like that.

looks fantastic lowered too... damn good choice! :)

you're prolly best remove the kenwood bass tube (eek! what were u thinking!) and make a little amp shelf there for the two amps. the 4 gauge power line should be fine to run both those amps off of together.

you've got some nice equipment there... i do so envy your truck. :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge