Sub/room questions and SVS

Options
jdhdiggs
jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
There are two potential HT rooms that I am trying to construct with only enough good equipment for one. One room is 10X15X8 and the other is 20X20X10 with two 10X10X10 rooms attached to the corners without walls.

In the large room is a 32" Flatscreen and a really nice cabinet for electronics that can not be moved. (Only stipulation for Q2)

Question 1). On the SVS subs, could you get a 25-31 and a 16-46 and successfully mix both of the units strengths and get more response than dual 20-39

2). Here's a list of currently owned equipment, is there enough there to power the big room (with one or two SVS subs?) or do I just get a better TV and single sub for the small? (Current TV is 18" from 1988)

Kenwood 7070 (6.1 capable, THX cert, 100WX6)
RCA professonal Series (5.1 Capable 100WX5)
RT800
CSi40
FXi50
RT245
RCA satellites (Their top of the line in 2000 bought as naive radioshck employee: see also amp)
A pair of homemade speakers that my wife's brother made that are good at mid-bass and ok at everything else

Enough good cabling to hook everything up in either room.

I don't have any need to move my foundation, but do enjoy to feel the music/movies. Any ideas and suggestions would be great.
There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
Post edited by jdhdiggs on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Mixing two different SVS sub sizes is inadvisable - the FR will be ragged. You are much better picking the sub size which best suits your needs and doubling up if you need more volume. The differences between the three models are audible, but not grossly major. The 25-31 digs plenty deep for all but a handful of movies. I like the 20-39 best for its unbeatable combination of deep stock tune and still strong output.

I would definitely place the sub(s) opposite of those permanent openings to the other two rooms. They tend to suck the life out of a sub due to a comparative lack of room gain and boundary reinforcement.

That's a pretty big room, regardless - too much for one 12" driver to fill with real authority.

Twin 20-39 PC-Plus would be nice in there, or a PB2-Plus.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Good advice. I'll probably get the 20-39 for the small room and let the wife get used to it befor coaxing her to let the main room get set up.. As for the room sizes, I think we own a 70's party house. 1800 sq. ft. and only 7 rooms (Including bath). To top it off, it is a vaulted ceiling. the peak is about 12-13' with an average of about 10'. If it becomes too acoustically difficult, I'll just save the extra subwoofer money for a DLP TV (TI-employee discount) for the small room.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin